What a cr*p invention!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
So I got an Onguard Bulldog U-Lock for Christmas. I am pleased with the lock, mount and that it has 5 keys. However the key with the LED light was dim and sometimes the LED didn't extinguish when you released the button. Doesn't matter as it's not essential. So I flipped the key open and found this is how the switch works. I mean what a rubbish peice of engineering, I am speachless:
IMG_20191228_111616622.jpg

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have a similar lock. The light has been fine, so far, so I don't yet know if mine is held together with a safety pin, or not!
The other thing I found out was that a lot of the warranty/guarantees advertised are only honoured for USA purchased products.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Those batteries won't cause an explosion even if you wrap it in TNT and hit it with a pedal spanner next to a can of Premium Unleaded.
But what they WILL do is maim or kill children if swallowed - Parents beware! :eek:

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
But what they WILL do is maim or kill children if swallowed - Parents beware! :eek:

Will do? Nah, my brother ate some button cells out of my favorite toy when we were kids and they passed straight through. They were pretty corroded when they emerged from the other end though.

Good engineering doesn't mean making the highest performance and most robust item possible, no matter the cost; it means making something that does a job as well is needed, for as little money as possible. The key light setup is cheap, compact and works fine in a couple of items I own.

That Onguard can't get it right doesn't invalidate the basic design 😛. I agree it's pure gimmickry though; don't think I've ever used them.

OP
OP
sleuthey

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Good engineering doesn't mean making the highest performance and most robust item possible, no matter the cost; it means making something that does a job as well is needed, for as little money as possible. The key light setup is cheap, compact and works fine in a couple of items I own.
Agreed but I still think the design is crude!

Mike_P

Guru
For Christmas I got a Halfords Bikehut rucksack indicator, charged it up and it worked for a short time then showed two red LEDs implying only 20% charge left
Put on charge again, switch on, two red LEDs. Left on charge overnight, switch on, two red LEDs. Meanwhile noticed the handlebar control unit would not switch on unless the batteries were removed and replaced - did check them and they were okay. Whole returns to gifter and the item is no longer to be found on Halfords web site.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Will do? Nah, my brother ate some button cells out of my favorite toy when we were kids and they passed straight through. They were pretty corroded when they emerged from the other end though.
I remember swallowing a glass eye from a teddy bear with a three inch length of wire on it, same result.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Some lithium cells have a high enough voltage to electrolyse stomach contents (it's a very polar solution due to the hydrochloric acid).

Top Bottom