What a difference a bike makes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I haven't ridden that much recently, what with a new job near the kids' school, then snow etc, I've spent my cycling-time over the past few months riding off-road on the MTB.

I love riding off-road, I have a nice regular route along the Thames path and home along bike tracks or quiet roads, it's great fun and mentally taxing riding on slime at this time of year. However, when I got home this evening, I realised that it had taken me an hour to do around 11 miles and the computer showed a maximum speed of just 17.6mph. :blush:

I was cogitating upon how much of that snail-emulation was down to the bike, and how much down to that last mince pie so, for the first time in about 2 months, I jumped on the roadie.

Given that I was already pooped from riding the MTB before I even started, I was very pleased when I got home to have done the 6 miles at an average of 15.7 mph and with a v-max of 27.7mph. Almost 50% faster on average and over 50% faster at the top end.

I think that I floated back into the house after seeing that. :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Same here. I've been on the MTB this winter, I've had some really fantastic rides in the snow and ice and beautiful winter sunshine but last weekend I rode down to Manchester and took the road bike, it just felt so.... right and so comfortable and effortless. My average on the roadie is around twice my average on the MTB for the same effort.

OP
OP
N

Norm

All I need is to find another bike to give me a similar performance boost over my roadie anf you'll be seeing me on the TdF in a few months. :biggrin:

Top Bottom