What a difference a month makes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

dantheman said:
im ore of the "eating animals" than the "looking after animals" type of person, but admire people who look after animals like these. anything we can do to help be a little more self sufficient is good, and invariably better for you.. read an article in the paper the other week that said theres lots of fraudulent organic and free-range products out there, and even about companies adding green dye to olive oil in order to sell it as extra virgin, so it seems you cant always trust the label anyway, as i have always thought...

Oh I still eat animals... I just try to eat humanely reared stuff/I know where it's from stuff type things.

Just planted some lettuce seeds. So far I haven't managed to kill off the tomato plants, the mint, sage, oregano, thyme nor the pepper plants. This is a first!

wafflycat said:
I have two hens; Anode & Cathode the ex-battery hens :wacko:

You wouldn't want to eat these two roasted - they'll be a bit stringy & tough. When batts go for slaughter, they end up in pet food and where the chicken used is low-grade, such as in pies.

And at various fast food outlets according to someone I know who worked at a processing factory for a short while.

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

Well I managed to get a photo of Anode this morning.

Anode001260508.jpg

Isn't she a lovely hen :biggrin:

The reason I managed to get the photo is that she was sitting still in order to produce this little treasure

Egg42Anode26050867point8gJUSTLAID.jpg

:thumbsup:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Do Hens get on with cats Waffly?

I quite fancy looking after a hen or two but I'm concerned my cat might get beaten up.

Do you have to clip their wings too (the hens' wings - not the cat's)?

And what do you feed them on (again the hens)?

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

twentysix by twentyfive said:
Do Hens get on with cats Waffly?

I quite fancy looking after a hen or two but I'm concerned my cat might get beaten up.

Do you have to clip their wings too (the hens' wings - not the cat's)?

And what do you feed them on (again the hens)?

My hens & cats ignore each other, apart from Francis, who is *fascinated* ever since Anode turned her then bald bum in Francis's face and popped an egg out inches from Francis's nose...:biggrin: But no hassle between them. Mind you, my girlies are in an enclosed run, so no need to clip their wings or worry about predators.

I feed The Laydeez on mainly layers' mash mixed with cut corn, sunflower seeds, linseed, millet & grit. They also get treats of lettuce, sweetcorn and grapes. Also unlimited access to water and layers' pellets. The layers' mash or pellets are a 'complete' food, so technically they need nothing else. BUT, it's also what they were given when in the battery system, and I think they much prefer the tastier stuff they get added in these days. They are verey easy to look after: absolutely no hassle. And they are great fun.

wafflycat said:
Oh I still eat animals... I just try to eat humanely reared stuff/I know where it's from stuff type things.

Just planted some lettuce seeds. So far I haven't managed to kill off the tomato plants, the mint, sage, oregano, thyme nor the pepper plants. This is a first!

sorry to change the subject, but have your pepper plants started growing fruitsyet- or flowering??- ive grown loads from seeds i dried myself from peppers, theyre about 18-20 inches high, and not a thing so far- just wondering if this is normal, or i did something wrong???

Top Bottom