What a difference ... good wheels make

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Bought an expensive new bike the other week and had loads of problems with the wheels (as regular readers will know!).

They both went out of true within 250 miles, and were generally rubbish.

So today I swapped them with the nearly-new Gatorskin-clad Shimano R500s from my old bike and WOW, the difference is massive. I feel like I've unlocked the potential of the new bike and I'm well chuffed :wahhey:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Glad you have sorted out the new bike. I just looked up the R500 wheels and they are not a wildly expensive wheel set. I shall mention these to the other half. Thanks for posting.
Have fun unlocking the potential ^_^ after all the problems, you deserve some fun, I'm sure.

G3CWI

Veteran
I did a modest upgrade on my Triban 3 that included new wheels. I have to admit that they did seem to make a difference. Hard to quantify though.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Glad you have sorted out the new bike. I just looked up the R500 wheels and they are not a wildly expensive wheel set. I shall mention these to the other half. Thanks for posting.

Cheers.

Yes, they're pretty cheap & cheerful wheels, but they're solid and well built.

I've just replaced the radial spoked Alexrims on my 2009 Defy 2.5 after 5000 miles (wear indicator groove showed worn out) with Mavic Open Sports (2 cross) with Tiagra hubs - there seems to be a significant difference. Much smoother and a better quality ride all around. So thanks to my LBS for the recommendation.

I take it the r500s sit square in the drop out then? Glad the new bike is (finally) living up to expectations and you can go on to enjoy your investment:thumbsup:

Kookas

Über Member
Completely! My bike is now absolutely silent, and almost every road surface feels like what a good surface felt like on the old wheels - except for the cobbles all around Birmingham Uni, they still suck - I love it!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I had a similar problem when I got my Secteur over 2 years ago. The alexrims that came on it were shockingly bad, the rear one constantly going out of true. Replacing them with Mavic Aksiums was a revelation. They were definitely lighter, but I think thinner tyres at a higher pressure probably made them seem faster. But just not having to bother checking them after every ride to see if they had went out of true like the shite that came on the bike, was in itself worth the outlay. They look way better too.

You can enjoy your bike much more now ;)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Cheers.

Yes, they're pretty cheap & cheerful wheels, but they're solid and well built.
Ribble have good offers on them at the moment - £66.95. Got them on my winter bike and they are pretty good, but not as responsive as the Aksiums on the other bike (same tyres on both). But at £66.95 ..........
(Good prices for other Shimano wheels too).

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
It could be the tyres playing a part as well. It had Vittorio Zaffiro tyres on when I bought it, and I've just seen them for sale at £6.95 per tyre! The Gatorskins were a little pricier than that.

Nearly there

Veteran
The wheels that came on my new scott where uninspiring so I swapped them for the shimano wheels too,totally different ride now a good solid wheel set you cant go wrong with.

2-years ago after a few thousand miles on my Alexrims and feeling them flex like hell cornering dwnhill at over 40mph, I bought a pair of Fulcrum Racing 7's and they are brilliant.
A phenomenal difference and feel so secure fast cornering.
I still use my Alexrims for the spring/autumn commute and swap out for the umber or just out on a good ride.

I was looking at the R500's fr a second decent pair of wheels with the offer on Wiggle.
Tempted...

Top Bottom