What a difference six years makes - 2020 Roubaix.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Profile isn't their best angle.

Probably don't look so bad from the saddle.

They're Fugly, no matter what angle you view them from. Modern bike designers seem to go out of their way to make their products look unattractive and tasteless as possible!

vickster

Legendary Member
Profile isn't their best angle.

Probably don't look so bad from the saddle.
Nah, they're big and bulbous from behind too unfortunately! Unwieldy for smaller hands as well. Even with the svelte SRAM mechanical rivals my hands ache braking on hills, hence my preference for inline brake levers. Not compatible with hydraulic shifters so they're out for me (dura Ace better but £££)

YellowV2

Veteran
Campagnolo if you want it to look good and ergonomics are also the best imo ^_^. Sorry but it Is fugly and doesn’t do anything for me.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
The hydraulic brake has a bigger body to accommodate the master cylinder but the handlebars are no different from any others, it's just the wide-angle lens of the camera that exaggerates them. Look at the convergence lines of the axles and you'll see that the photo was taken close up, meaning anything close to the camera will loom bigger in the shot. The correct way to photograph something like a bike is from some distance away with a telephoto lens, which is why portrait photographers will step back and use a 90mm lens - it also helps to reduce intimidation of their subject. You can see how it works by looking at your ears and nose in a mirror then slowly approaching the mirror and watching how the proportions of your face change; your ears will recede and your nose loom bigger and bigger. From about 20 feet away you get a more realistic rendition of proportions; look at this pic of the old SL4, which I took from further away with the camera on zoom - the bars are much more realistically proportioned.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s the hoods that are gargantuan not the handlebars. I realise why they are so mahoosive but doesn’t make them any less fugly on the bike :okay:
Good you like it, but it’s not one for me in any way :smile:
Even the Standard Shimano hoods (all up to Dura Ace) are chunkier than SRAM and Campag equivalents

D

Deleted member 26715

That was me having a rest after conking out on a steepish climb...
That's what you are doing wrong, you're not supposed to use the brakes to go uphill :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, and @Sea of vapours thinking: "When is that feeble ride leader going to get going again?"
More thinking "I wonder how long I can hang around to see whether he gets up again."

As to the Roubaix: having seen those brakes in the metal/rubber, they're far from being as large as they look in that horribly distorted photo. Wide angle lenses - not nice for bike photos!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yes Shimano hydraulics... I rode quite fast down Whalley Nab yesterday then stopped to feel the brakes... wished I hadn't as they were blinkin' hot! They are excellent brakes and with the 30mm tyres they make the bike feel extremely sure-footed.

View attachment 500414

Cool looking bike there - I like the big meaty brakes/shifters - they suit my chunky hands nicely. And who cares what they look like (I think they look fine btw) as they are only mechanical items that perform a couple of simple functions on the bike.

I like plain black bikes too - I have one myself although it is not as posh as yours (Trek Domane ALR 5 Disc) being made of aluminium.

Happy riding!

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cool looking bike there - I like the big meaty brakes/shifters - they suit my chunky hands nicely. And who cares what they look like (I think they look fine btw) as they are only mechanical items that perform a couple of simple functions on the bike.

I like plain black bikes too - I have one myself although it is not as posh as yours (Trek Domane ALR 5 Disc) being made of aluminium.

Happy riding!

It's not quite plain black:

20200116_064207.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's not quite plain black:

View attachment 500812

How do you get on with that front shifter - presumably R8000?

My bike is 105 and originally came with 105 R7000 which was a pig to get adjusted so that all four positions worked. Trek US said they struggled with it, the shop I bought the bike from couldn't manage it (Wheelbase, L.District) and I spent a fair chunk of a day on it to no avail. Got the shop to swap it out for the last iteration of the 105 long arm shifters - still gives me a minimum of around .5cm clearance with 32mm Marathon Supremes fitted and is much easier to adjust imo.

Top Bottom