1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHAT, a dog?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by dbg, 21 Nov 2007.

1. dbg

dbg New Member

Ok, all you dog lovers (and haters), I'm in a slight quandary. We (wife, 10 & 8 yr old daughters) have had two cats in the last year, both of which have come to sticky ends not being conversant with the green cross code. My daughters are desperate for a dog but I know I'm the eejut who'll have to take it out in all weathers. My wife runs a childminding business from home so a doberman is not a good idea nor any snappy breed.
    I hate ratty little dogs but guess I could live with a medium - smallish chappie. I also acknowledge the girls would benefit? from having a canine mate. So assuming I bow to mounting pressure, what would be a good model to look for? or should I dig my heels in and say no way?

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

IMO a good family dog (and one the girls will love) is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Small but not ratty, very good with children and generally good tempered.

3. Peyote

Peyote New Member

I've always liked Greyhounds and Whippets, must be some reminant of Northern blood in me!

Other than that your run-of-the-mill family dog tends to be a Retriever or a Collie. But then what do I know, I'm a cat person!

4. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Get a Heinz 57 from your local dog sanctuary. We did, and although I knew I'd end up doing the walks, I love it, 4-5 miles every morning, and a short stroll in the evening...brilliant! Keep the dog separate from the kids your missis looks after if that's poss, or just make sure you train it not to jump up at them... there's a lot of picky/panicky parents out there....

5. definitely not a dingo though

6. dbg

dbg New Member

ok, what's a Heinz 57?

7. Peyote

Peyote New Member

A mongrel, 57 different breeds in one dog!

8. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

A mongrel - it's got lots of variety in it - "Heinz 57 varieties" was an advertising slogan that demonstrated the range of their products.

I'd go for a mongrel/rescue dog if I was in the position to have a dog, although you'll need to be careful about its character - some rescue dogs have been through a lot of nasty stuff and need a quiet home, or no kids, or a lot of patient therapy. The dog shelter should be able to suggest a suitable one. Mongrels seem often to be nicer, brighter and more robust than pure breds.

9. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

We took a shelter dog too as we had no excuse not to, but she did have a tough start in life and still isn't particularly happy around kids and other dogs.

A wee spaniel is a good shout though.

10. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Yes.
    Customers for the child minding business will go elsewhere if there is the hint of a dog on the premises.

11. We're considering a couple of rescue greyhounds once the cat pegs it, because I don't think we've currently got the time/dedication for the sort of breed which needs a lot of exercise.

A labrador or similar big retreiver is supposed to need 20 miles a day, every day.

A collie will need lots of exercise and also mental stimulation because they're a lot brighter than most dogs. If bored/under-stimulated, they might wreck the house.

Greyhounds however need little exercise as they're sprinters, no endurance, so they sleep a lot, they don't moult everywhere, they're good natured.
    But get a rescue one (i.e. ex-racer) and you don't know what you're getting - it very likely won't be used to being a pet, living in a house, etc.
    Get two and they're company for oneanother so less likely to be anxious if left alone.

12. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Careful though, they might gang up on you and eat you! :blush:

13. No, not me.

But that is why we're waiting for the cat to peg it
    until the cat pegs it
    (that sounds better doesn't it !)

14. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

and some poor diddums will be allergic to cats as well, so perhaps a pet-free home is the way forward. (i am a definate cat person btw).