WHAT, a dog?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
snorri said:
Yes.
Customers for the child minding business will go elsewhere if there is the hint of a dog on the premises.

I think Snorri is right.

Phil, where can I get a greyhound that kills cats? Can I have more than one? Please??

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
If you get a Cavalier K C spaniel, only walk it when it's dark, your street cred will disappear quicker than a quick thing disappearing.

West Highland or Cairn Terrier ?
Yorkshire Terrier ? All pretty placid dogs. Well the ones my Mom had were.

My brother had a rescue Rottweiller (not recommending this one BTW !) who in it's previous home apparently had the crap beaten out of her. After a few months she was the most placid dog I've ever known.

slow down

snorri said:
Yes.
Customers for the child minding business will go elsewhere if there is the hint of a dog on the premises.

I disagree - my wifes also a childminder from home and we've just bought a puppy (labrador/spaniel cross, due to pick her up Saturday). I did think of the rescue home route, but you can't be sure of the background so went for the puppy instead.

All of the midee's parents are happy with our decision - in fact all thought it was a wonderful idea as it gives their children an animal to interact with and help gain confidence. As long as NCMA and Ofsted guidlines are followed, and there is a pet policy in place to reassure parents these isn't an issue.

Besides, why base your family's lifestyle on other peoples prejudices?

P.S. I was in the same boat - 10 and 8 year old boys and a wife desperate for a dog, and although I said no to start with I gave in last week. Now really looking forward to bringing puppy home.

slow down said:
I disagree - my wifes also a childminder from home and we've just bought a puppy (labrador/spaniel cross, due to pick her up Saturday). I did think of the rescue home route, but you can't be sure of the background so went for the puppy instead.

All of the midee's parents are happy with our decision - in fact all thought it was a wonderful idea as it gives their children an animal to interact with and help gain confidence. As long as NCMA and Ofsted guidlines are followed, and there is a pet policy in place to reassure parents these isn't an issue.

Besides, why base your family's lifestyle on other peoples prejudices?

P.S. I was in the same boat - 10 and 8 year old boys and a wife desperate for a dog, and although I said no to start with I gave in last week. Now really looking forward to bringing puppy home.

Oh, that's nice. Some sensible people around, I find that very reassuring.

Big Bren

Don't give in; apart from the fact that dogs smell and so by default your house will too, you'll probably also damage your childminding credentials.

I'm uncomfortable with dogs around my kids and I have no truck with the 'he just wants to say hello' brigade; he may want to say hello, but he may also decide to bite my childs face off. I'd rather not take the chance.

Guinea pigs are the way forward.

gbb

Legendary Member
As with all opinions, there are two sides :blush:
My wife was a childminder for many years, we always had a dog...and no-one raised any issues.
That said, some parents may not like it, quite rightly ...if its important to them.

We have a 4 YO Labrador. We (rather sadly) dont get the time to excercise it as much as it deserves (which actually means we excercise it very little)....but its the most fantastic house dog. Never minds the grandchildren and never shown any aggression.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
My next door neighbour's a fully accredited child minder. Her dog has caused her no problem. This is in a rural district, though, where probably 50% of households have dogs of their own, either pets or workers. Prissy urban families might be different.

But I think you need to know the dog, and trust it absolutely. A dog which shows even the merest hint of a temper is a no-go - children don't always know when to stop poking a dog. The dog must just put up with it or move away.

In any case, in our household the dog lives in an outdoor workshop. He can go outside in the garden whenever he wants, but he's only allowed indoors when invited. He's usually invited in whenever we're there, which is most of the time, but not necessarily when there are visitors. Depending on your house's setup, you might be able to do something similar - keep the dog and the kids separate until/unless everyone is happy for them to mix.

Dogs do smell, some worse than others (it usually gets worse as they get older for some reason). But then, so do children.

Guinea pigs do have the advantage that they don't live long. This gives children the chance to learn about dying, plus they don't get stuck with a pet they've grown bored of. They're also good roasted with a bit of pickle, but watch out for little bones.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
Guinea pigs do have the advantage that they don't live long. This gives children the chance to learn about dying, plus they don't get stuck with a pet they've grown bored of. They're also good roasted with a bit of pickle, but watch out for little bones.

It's a perk? of being in the room I'm in, that I could, within a few seconds, put my hands on a set of Guinea Pig bones... We have one skellie, although it's unlikely to be required for reference for British sites.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll second a Cav - our family have had two (well second is on his last legs) - they last about 10 years and usually die from dicky hearts - that's how out two went. Really nice dogs, but can be expensive depending upon how good the pedigree is....

I've got 3 cats - two related aged 10, and one rather large pain in the butt (but cute) 6 month old kitten after I let my young daughter and wife pursuade me to get another. The big cats don't like it, it's scratched the new sofa, raids bin bags or cat food bags (the other two don't)...argh..... anyone want a small but cute 4 legged terrorist for hire......

Bigtallfatbloke

we have an english cocker spaniel....he's small but for a small dog he's a 'proper' dog not a rat....great fun, lot's of great moments, no hassle, well behaved and trains easy. Doesnt yap...the perfect family dog imo...you can pick him up without thinking you're going to brake himand as a big bloke I dont feel silly walking him like I would a smal rat.

Spaniel's are not a good idea, statistically they bite more than other dogs.

Rescued gryehounds are placid, easy to look after but can be a bit paranoid. As previously suggested they need company.

Top Bottom