What a Fantastic Few Days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Sitting here, watching the rain - as I have all day - I know the roadie won't be coming out this evening (mind you, that won't stop me getting the MTB muddy). But, in a way, I think it may be payback for a great few days of cycling.

Kicked off last Monday, when I got out in the early evening sunshine with a mate to punch out a quick 20 miler on the MTBs. Chucked in a good few hills for a laugh and got a great workout. Top fun (until the Puncture Fairy bit my mate's back tyre).

Wednesday evening (weather not quite as good as Monday) managed to fit in another quick 23 miler on the MTB. The wind was soul-destroying - but the workout was fantastic; kept the HR high all the way around. Mind you, that Puncture Fairy was at it again - my front tyre this time.

Thursday, the wife came out with me - again on the MTBs. 15 miles including some really muddy off-road and a couple of nice hills. Again, a good workout - and always love getting out on the bikes with the missus. Oh - did I mention that the Puncture Fairy was hovering again!!!

Friday night, took myself out on the MTB again. Cracking pace with the wind in my favour for most of the 23 miles. One stop - to sort a puncture (it stopped being funny at that point - but I did at least find out what was causing the repeated defaltion - a tiny shard of flint, embedded in one of the knobbles on the tyre. Could barely see it and it looks like it only got through the tyre carcass when the bike was laoded). Again, a great workout.

Saturday was a social ride; 35 miles on the roadies with my lovely missus and a good mate. Not a blistering pace as he was suffering with neck problems - but decent weather and a great ride with good company.

Sunday was the icing on the cake. Another good friend invited me to join his informal Sunday Peloton. This time, it was 63 miles - hard and fast (averaged 18.3 MPH according to Garmin). Fantastic lanes that I have never ridden before, great company, sun, blue skies and a terrific workout. At one point, we hit 30 mph on a perfectly smooth flat section of road with wide, sweeping bends;wheel-to-wheel. That really is one of the most intense things I have ever done and completely addictive. This ride is now indellibly etched into my memory as probably my most enjoyable to date - and I am now a confirmed member of this group going forwards. Mind you, I could have eaten a horse afterwards - and can not believe how hungry I have been all day today - but a good sort of hungry.

Right, I'm off now to get wet on the MTB.

Top Bottom