What a First Commute!?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaleB

Hi all,

I've just returned home from my first commute (Altrincham - Manchester); and by God was it eventful!

One the way:

Around the corner from my house I was first attacked by a dog which came running after me! I stopped and stood still as the owner came running over :smile:.
After this I experienced the busy 'Princess Parkway - Manchester' (My own doing via route planning that one), this involved me negotiating bin men on a triple carriageway :smile:...
All in all, after arriving at Uni i was pleased with the mornings efforts though and was looking forward to the journey home :tongue:

The way home:

Within 200 yards of leaving Uni i failed to negotiate a smashed porcelain plate/cup and slashed my tire!?!? :sad:
I spent ages getting covered in dirt fixing it... To the amusement of 'Jmetz' (whom i called as he lives around the corner). Eventually, having fixed it (although my tire now looks like it has a hernia) i headed on - wearily!
The rest of the ride was pleasant though and i particularly enjoyed passing all of the queuing traffic :biggrin:.

So, a bit of an uneventful first commute :tongue:, please tell me it gets easier (otherwise i'll take the car :biggrin:)

Ps. As seen as my tires now slashed and the innertube pokes out - i take it i'll have to replace it?
:wacko:

potsy

Rambler
I said the other day you'd have a steep learning curve going that way,sounds like a commute that will keep you on your toes:biggrin:
Put a pic of the tyre on here Dale and i'm sure we can advise,though it sounds like a new one to me.
Well done on completing it anyway:bravo:

Jmetz

He does NOT, i repeat he does NOT look happy :biggrin:

j4img00122201006101743j

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Brains said:
New tyre

But you get another week out of the existing one by using a 'tyre boot'

Noooo :wacko:

What's a tyre boot?

Ps. I cannot believe that I did a 6 day cycling trip without any P's and then on my first commute, the mother of all P's - typical!

Jmetz

Its funny because as we were leaving the labs one of the guys commented on him needing new wheels...

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
DaleB said:
Ahhh cheers, will have to start looking at new tyres now :biggrin:

Spech' Armadillos!!

you can use an old crisp packet as a boot (allegedly...can't say Ive ever tried it). That said, boots are only a pound or so, like a stick back plastic patch that lines the inside of the tyre to secure the whole (a bit)

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Sorted myself out with new tyres today :biggrin:, only went basic though!

After the test run i just did though i'm happy (apart from being taken uphill by a far superior cyclist... nothing a bit more training won't solve :eek:)

potsy

Rambler
DaleB said:
Sorted myself out with new tyres today :biggrin:, only went basic though!

After the test run i just did though i'm happy (apart from being taken uphill by a far superior cyclist... nothing a bit more training won't solve :eek:)
Sorry about that;)

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Haha, did the same route today... No superior cyclists in sight luckily (as i'm sure i went slower - burnt myself out pushing harder earlier! Mistake?) :rolleyes:

Definitely need to work on the stamina, especially if i'm planning on doing the Manchester 100 miler!

Top Bottom