What A Lazy Cyclist I Used To Be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Cruising along at 40 sounds better than cruising along at 25.;)

I have always used the metric system, it's what I was taught at school and use at work, it's alot easier.

when we did some work for a well known jet manufacturer in the UK all the dimensions were imperial as thats what the yanks used. even the general construction stuff was all done in feet and inches. iot was fun watchingh the younger guys struggling with the fractions of an inch.

Congrats. I need to get out the spread sheet, but I must be somewhere close to this ....

but

this year I have taken the car just six times, which have been to pick up very heavy parcels from work or on days I was too ill to ride safely.

Please, if you are too ill to ride safely, do not drive: you are also too ill to steer a tonne of steel between more vunerable road users.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cruising along at 40 sounds better than cruising along at 25.;)

I have always used the metric system, it's what I was taught at school and use at work, it's alot easier.

I was bought up in a generation that had to learn both as we had just entered the EU , i can work in metric but i prefer imperial especially for speed / distance.This might be something to do with the fact that the roadsigns work in miles per hour and number of miles to destination ..............
No system is easier it is just what you are used to .

Back on topic , my counter below tracks commuting distance which is unlikey to change much unless we get an extra day of overtime or i miss commuting due to having to take the car if necessary .
I do not track weekend mileage but i reckon i will be adding maybe another 1500 + miles on top of the counter .

campbellab

Metric is easier because we use a decimal number system.

Even then it follows a standard progression 10s, 100s, 1000s, ... rather than 36, 1760, ... which have no mathmatical relationship and require learning of arbitrary values?

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
when we did some work for a well known jet manufacturer in the UK all the dimensions were imperial as thats what the yanks used. even the general construction stuff was all done in feet and inches. iot was fun watchingh the younger guys struggling with the fractions of an inch.

That reminds me of the joint NASA/ESA mission to Mars which ended in disaster as the spacecraft smashed into the surface because NASA had used US imperial measurements and ESA had used metric.

jay clock

Massive member
Back to the original topic. Well done. I am over 5000k for the year and that includes zero commuting because I work from home. Much more than 2010 when my whole year total was about that. Mostly due to Ironman and the required training

Re the metric thing
I was bought up in a generation that had to learn both as we had just entered the EU
. I was brought up before we entered the EU (started school in 1967) and our county had decided not only to just teach metric, but not to bother us with "old money" since the govt had just announced decimalisation. So I never did imperial. That plus living abroad meant I preferred metric. I even have my car satnav set to metric. I can mentally convert effortlessly and just prefer metric.

Top Bottom