What a Sad Story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cd365

Guru
The child should not have been adopted until it was sorted through the courts.
A disgraceful way to treat an innocent couple.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It is sad. These types of story are often more complicated that they seem at first. It's awful for the parents, it's awful for the child and it's awful for the agencies. No winners here.

I listened to the program and indeed it is a complex affair. Sometimes the law is a barrier to justice rather than a route to justice.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The child should not have been adopted until it was sorted through the courts.
A disgraceful way to treat an innocent couple.

It was sorted through the courts and was within the guidelines that civil court actions are prosecuted. Civil courts reach verdicts based on a balance of probabilities rather than beyond all reasonable doubt as operated in the criminal courts. It was a civil action. The ensuing mess makes things even more difficult as the best interests of the child has to be taken into account when attempting to resolve the matter and it might be deemed that returning the child to its natural parents might be more disruptive for the child than leaving it with the adoptive parents.

I wouldn't like to preside over the court that makes the final decision.

U

User32269

It was sorted through the courts and was within the guidelines that civil court actions are prosecuted. Civil courts reach verdicts based on a balance of probabilities rather than beyond all reasonable doubt as operated in the criminal courts. It was a civil action. The ensuing mess makes things even more difficult as the best interests of the child has to be taken into account when attempting to resolve the matter and it might be deemed that returning the child to its natural parents might be more disruptive for the child than leaving it with the adoptive parents.

I wouldn't like to preside over the court that makes the final decision.
Sorry to display my ignorance of the law around this area, could the child be left with adoptive parents if ruling states it would be too disruptive to return to (innocent) real parents?
Was talking about this case last night, it never entered my head this could be a realistic probability. Can't even begin to contemplate that as a parent myself.

Drago

Legendary Member
And when you do find a kid that's been genuinely abused and take them in to police protection no bugger wants to know because it's past 5pm and they've gone home.

Haven't listened to the whole program, but even on the bare facts, I feel the services acted in the best interest of the child. Everyone's interest is secondary to the child's. Obviously the child had to be removed from the parents, we don't need any more Baby Ps. As it took 3 years to resolve in court, even with hindsight it is better that the child was part of a real family, rather than enduring foster care for the most important 3 years of its life. And now the child knows those people as its family, tearing him/her away from them would be very cruel. Unjust as it is, the biological parents are just strangers now.

I wonder why some sort of open adoption arrangement isn't possible. The biological parents could get to know their kid and spend time together, while staying part of the only family he/she knows. Four people (at least) love this child; it could only benefit him/her to know them all.

(if anyone knows the gender of the child, please let me know. I've twisted myself around with prepositions above :smile: )

Top Bottom