What about the pyramids???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andygates

Aperitif said:
I thought it was the Toblerone factory ;)

You win! :smile:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
If you imagine a pyramid with a leg under each corner it becomes obvious that they were intended as giant sunshades for people while they watched camel races in the desert or the annual boat race on the Nile. Obviously because they built them all wrong the boat race had to be transferred to the Thames and the racing to Ascot, Aintree etc.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Are they not fossilized tents from the legendary lost CTC camping trip of 1883?;)

'I'm just going to mend a puncture - I may be some time...':biggrin:

I don't hold water with the Toblerone theory - I like Toblerones, but I don't like biting a chunk off and having it dig in the roof of my mouth painfully.
There's something deeply wrong with chocolate that tries to injure you.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
papercorn2000 said:
"Rooves"?

Yeah, I can't swear to it but I believe that that is an archaic spelling of the plural. I haven't got a dictionary to hand but I think it may be given as an alternative. I just prefer it to the dull looking "roofs".

(Bit like hoof and hooves.)

papercorn2000

OK, I just like to keep a tight rein on standards.
But as you have a good (sounding) excuse, you may carry on.

As you were...

Andy in Sig said:
Yeah, I can't swear to it but I believe that that is an archaic spelling of the plural. I haven't got a dictionary to hand but I think it may be given as an alternative. I just prefer it to the dull looking "roofs".

(Bit like hoof and hooves.)

rooves should be the plural. roofs is clumsy and ugly. i used rooves in a story once, but realised it'd get chucked out because of it and took ages to rewrite one word as it looked and sounded terrible. in the end i used rooftops.

roofs is just wrong wrong wrong

radger

Veteran
roofs
I love that word, and have the (probably extremely irritating) habit of pluralising all words ending in 'f' just by adding an s - e.g.:
hoofs
dwarfs
wolfs
shelfs
interestingly, only one of those is wrong (according to firefox's British English dictionary)

radger

Veteran
Andy in Sig said:
The wrong one I would guess is "wolfs".

Your guess would be wrong. However, I imagine it's only really correct as a verb - e.g. "he wolfs dinner down"

domtyler said:
Shelfs should be shelves surely?

It should indeed. A surprising number of 'f' ending words are correctly pluralised by adding an s though.

Top Bottom