What about tyre running in the opposite direction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silva

Über Member
My rear tyres wear out of center away from the driveside.
No idea why, I replaced the brake pads recently and the rim looks like maybe just 1 mm offcenter and it could be due to the brake mounts too.
But it's a fact and this is the second tyre wearing like this.
It looks like replacement time is near, but it's like a pity since there is still quite some profile left on the other side.
So I got the idea to flip the tyre, meaning that the arrow alike profile pads would point backwards (62 mm Schwalbe super moto x).
I've read that a tyre should be mounted with these forward, and I don't know why.
So what are the consequences of a tyre running in the opposite of the marked direction?

My rear tyres wear out of center away from the driveside.
No idea why, I replaced the brake pads recently and the rim looks like maybe just 1 mm offcenter and it could be due to the brake mounts too.
But it's a fact and this is the second tyre wearing like this.
It looks like replacement time is near, but it's like a pity since there is still quite some profile left on the other side.
So I got the idea to flip the tyre, meaning that the arrow alike profile pads would point backwards (62 mm Schwalbe super moto x).
I've read that a tyre should be mounted with these forward, and I don't know why.
So what are the consequences of a tyre running in the opposite of the marked direction?
Very slightly increased friction, that’s about it.

Gunk

Guru
I like to have treads facing the same way but I’m just fussy, I don’t think it makes that much difference

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
There will be no noticeable difference, swap them round.

If you flip your tyre over because the arrow points forward you'll go faster :rolleyes: In all seriousness it'll make no difference to you. There's a theory that swapping a rear wheel tyre to the front wheel will have the danger of blowing out prematurely and because its the front its less controllable but you are not doing that. Going by that theory on the back its more controllable.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It would freak me out massively to have the tread pointing the wrong way, but I'm just a bit funny like that. They'll still go round and do their rubbery, tyre-y thing.

faster

Über Member
If you flip your tyre over because the arrow points forward you'll go faster :rolleyes: In all seriousness it'll make no difference to you. There's a theory that swapping a rear wheel tyre to the front wheel will have the danger of blowing out prematurely and because its the front its less controllable but you are not doing that. Going by that theory on the back its more controllable.

I'm not sure if you've misunderstood this rule, or just written it in a confusing way - it's not really a theory, just good practice.

The point is to always have your newest tyre on the front wheel rather than try to equalise wear by swapping them round so that they both wear out at roughly the same time. When a rear tyre wears out, bin it, put the old front tyre on the back and the new tyre on the front.

At speed, there really is a good chance that a front blow out will have you hitting the tarmac, whereas a rear blowout is more benign. As such, it makes perfect sense to have your best tyre up front.

I'm not sure if you've misunderstood this rule, or just written it in a confusing way - it's not really a theory, just good practice.

The point is to always have your newest tyre on the front wheel rather than try to equalise wear by swapping them round so that they both wear out at roughly the same time. When a rear tyre wears out, bin it, put the old front tyre on the back and the new tyre on the front.

At speed, there really is a good chance that a front blow out will have you hitting the tarmac, whereas a rear blowout is more benign. As such, it makes perfect sense to have your best tyre up front.
I called it a good practice rule once before and folk shot it down you cant win :rolleyes: But I would agree with you it makes good practice (and is sensible) and touch wood following it has never let me down :okay:

Top Bottom