What annoys car drivers most about cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What annoys car drivers most about cyclists........... well apart from noticing every little mistake made by a cyclist (none made by cars of course) .......... what really annoys them is............

We are enjoying ourselves :biggrin::biggrin:(happier, fitter etc), they are stuck in their metal shell and paying through the nose to become fatter and more unhealthy:evil:. And they don't really understand why would would be enjoying ourselves.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Eat MY Dust said:
I had a mate moaning at me that he had passed the same cyclist 15 times, it wasn't until I pointed out to him that the cyclist must have passed him at least the same number of times did he understand that they were pretty much traveling at the same average speed!
He a bit dim then, your mate? :biggrin::biggrin:

I know I get annoyed when they RLJ and/or have no lights (and it's dark), but that's regardless of whether I'm on my bike or in the car.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Good point about the wobbling. When we're in the car, it's really disconcerting to see a cyclist who looks as if they're going to fall off at any moment.

I remember reading somewhere a discussion about what was called the 'controlled wobble' when setting off and it was suggested that this has the effect of making drivers give more attention to the cyclist. Sounds a bit precarious to me.

Sh4rkyBloke said:
He a bit dim then, your mate? :biggrin::biggrin:

Not really. Think to yourself how many times you find yourself in the situation of a car passing you, for you to overtake it further down the road. In London this happens every journey, but do you think that the drivers think that you are "slowing" them down, of course they do.

Eat MY Dust said:
Not really. Think to yourself how many times you find yourself in the situation of a car passing you, for you to overtake it further down the road. In London this happens every journey, but do you think that the drivers think that you are "slowing" them down, of course they do.

Not really.They pass me at 70mph then I catch them up.:biggrin:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Surprized no one else has said this: I think for some drivers, I'm not sure it's anything cyclists do, rather what they represent -something other than a motorized vehicle that is different from their experience. I know it's obvious, but it's easy to distinguish a cyclist from any other motorized transport -that's a good basis for an irrational dislike right there and then. Add in the car culture and classic case of thinking only they have the right to be on the road......

I'll also add that I believe some drivers don't like cyclists because they perceive bicycles as something they only played with as a child, and stubbornly hold to the falsehood they shouldn't be on the road.

It would be fascinating to know when these attitudes appeared as horses, carts, carriages and bicycles ruled the roads in the early 20th century.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
It would be fascinating to know when these attitudes appeared as horses, carts, carriages and bicycles ruled the roads in the early 20th century.

Question of numbers - once, the motor car was the exception and was treated as such: now it's the horses, carts and cyclists who are the minority.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Don't forget the cagers that have paid out £000s just to buy their shiny new box - and then are so frustrated when they get nowhere fast

asterix

Comrade Member
highway designs that deliberately require cyclists to
obstruct traffic in order to produce a traffic calming
effect should be avoided as they are likely to cause
particular frustration to drivers;

I've often wondered who the lunatic was who first thought of the idea.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Drivers are sold the dream of the freedom of the open road, just look at any car ad, only to find what they have bought is a lot of sitting around in traffic jams. Then some cyclist goes past them, clearly enjoying the freedom of the road and they get upset...

Top Bottom