What annoys car drivers most about cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Molecule Man

I wouldn't be surprised if most drivers would say that they were most annoyed by rlj-ing. However, I have lost count of the number of times I have been hooted or shouted at for actually stopping at the lights when the driver behind me would rather jump them.

Molecule Man said:
I wouldn't be surprised if most drivers would say that they were most annoyed by rlj-ing. However, I have lost count of the number of times I have been hooted or shouted at for actually stopping at the lights when the driver behind me would rather jump them.

LOL, I've nearly been run over a couple of times where I've been in primary position and stopped at a light that has just changed to red, and the car behind me has attempted to run it. It's not a nice sound hearing the sound of a car skidding to a stop behind you!!!

Origamist

Legendary Member
We are considered the decaying matter of the transport food chain because we ride a bike. Size and speed have primacy on our roads, and as such, cyclists are perceived as a nuisance.

Molecule Man

Eat MY Dust said:
LOL, I've nearly been run over a couple of times where I've been in primary position and stopped at a light that has just changed to red, and the car behind me has attempted to run it. It's not a nice sound hearing the sound of a car skidding to a stop behind you!!!

I know what you mean, I've felt it necessary to jump the lights myself once or twice when it has been obvious that the car behind isn't going to stop.

MartinC

Über Member
Motorists in the UK don't like cyclists for the same reason they don't like many things. Creating a car based transport system in the UK was a dumb idea. It's just not big enough and car drivers are competing for unavailable space. They're participating in a failed transport system which frustrates them because they're too stupid to work it out. Naturally because they're all whinging poms whatever it is it's somebody else's fault and somebody else should do something about it.

02GF74

Über Member
sp what is exactly is the big deal with going though a red light?

this is done at the cyclists risk and they, knowing they will be smashed to smithereens, only do it when there is no other traffic about, so in effect it is like a normal junction but without the lights.

A lot of the time the lights are on red anyway even when there is no traffic coming across, so what difference does it make?

Carwash

Señor Member
02GF74 said:
sp what is exactly is the big deal with going though a red light?

I'm not well up on this debate, and I'm aware it's been done to death on here before. Old hands, feel free to jump in!

02GF74 said:
this is done at the cyclists risk

But it's often not just at their own risk - it can place others in danger too.

02GF74 said:
only do it when there is no other traffic about

How can you be sure?

02GF74 said:
A lot of the time the lights are on red anyway even when there is no traffic coming across, so what difference does it make?

How about, 'It's against the law.'?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
What annoys car drivers most about cyclists?
Our very existence surely?

But seriously I think it's for a couple of reasons, in London at least;

1/ they get snobby for us 'taking' something for free(using the roads)akin to thinking on immigrants, benefit fraudsters, the great unwashed, et al.

2/ 'collectively' we all jump lights and disobey every road law going.

For most drivers the car is an extension of their comfort zone and have little or no desire to think or be forced to think about road users outside their own little bubble.

Tynan

Veteran
cars tend to go through lights 'late', bikes tend to go stright through them regardless of timing, there's a difference

the vast majority of rlj by bikes is absolutely safe, that's not the point, when one sort of road users see another sort routinely breaking a rule that they generally observe it's bound to cause resentment

Drivers do not just hate cyclists - everything that travels slower / faster than them gets hated in order of its relative speed to them.

People who drive at 70mph on motorways hate boyraces who drive at 85mph, who hate reps in BMWs who drive at 100mph.

All three hate cyclists, but lawabiding 70mph person less so than boyracer or rep, who hate cyclists equally because the rep is very very fast, and the boy racer want to be very very fast.

Bus drivers hate cyclists in town because they are faster than busses, but they hate cabs more because cabs are quicker.

Top Bottom