What app do you use to play music on your phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
And would you recommend it?

(Being essentially lazy, I just installed VLC, which is what I use to play audio on my laptop & PC. But I'm finding it very unrewarding. You can't quit. Once it's playing, the only way you can close it down completely is to restart the phone. I call this sub-optimal.

I don't need anything fancy. 'Random play all' and 'Quit' is about all the functionality I need.

The more idiot-proof the better.

Thanks in anticipation.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Black Player on my Android phone, basic version is free and yes, I would recommend it.

I wanted something that would play FLAC as all my CDs are ripped to that. I have approx 110GB on an SD card the size of my little fingernail.

It does shuffle, playlists, random and can show lyrics and album covers if you want.

Edit: and probably more that I don't use!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I use HiBy Music for Android. It's not bad and will search the correct album cover for you but often gets it spectacularly wrong.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Spotify - the free version. Have to endure the adverts, but they're infrequent and short.

You can pay small subs to avoid adverts and listen away from home without data connection. But, the data usage is minimal and is covered by most low-mid level data plans.

Music on a phone! What witchcraft is this?

You have to turn the dial three times using the number 9 each time, then when the lady asks which service you require, you have to say music, then specify band/track.

Venod

Eh up
BubbleUPNP, I use this to play music from my NAS Drive, then cast it to a Chromecast Audio thats connected to an old HiFi in the garage, I use it while on the Turbo. I have also used Media House Pro, both excellent apps and worth the small price for the full versions, I also use Spotify, its my lads but he has a full membership and added me as a user, I can also recommend Spotify.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
You have to turn the dial three times using the number 9 each time, then when the lady asks which service you require, you have to say music, then specify band/track.

And remember, hold the smaller of the two pieces to your ear and speak into the larger part (shaped like a candlestick.) Don't forget to exclaim "Ahoy-hoy!" on a successful connection.

postman

Legendary Member
Spotify for old Bob here in Meanwood,I love it.Made lists and then got tired then made more,Spotify also make lists for you from your listening habits,my fave is my worship one and my oldies 60's music.What a change from reel to reel in the mid 60's when everybody has to be quiet on a Thursday night half seven till eight while I taped top of the pops.

Top Bottom