What are cyclocross bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
How do they differ from your lightweight road bike?
Do they not have Google where you are? :scratch: Pyongyang?

david k

Hi
It's my main bike, it's a comfy ride, quicker than my old hybrid and more comfortable than my road bike
I have mudguards and 32 tyres, it's a good set up and a good balance between winter and summer cycling

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A cyclocross bike will tend to have racy geometry because cyclocross events are races.

The races are relatively short, so the bike will have no bosses for bottle carriers, or mudguards come to that because cyclocross racers never use them.

Cables will be routed above the top tube because the bike is designed to be shouldered.

The bike will not have very low gears because as soon as it's quicker to run up a hill than ride up, that's what cyclocrossers do.

Plenty of frame clearance, because cyclocross is a winter sport and the races are often muddy.

A true cyclocross bike with all the features mentioned above is not suitable for general use, which is why there are very few on sale.

Plenty of bikes called cyclocross or CX available, but most will have stuff such as water bosses or a low bottom gear a cyclocross racer would never use.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
A true cyclocross bike with all the features mentioned above is not suitable for general use, which is why there are very few on sale.

I find it perfect for the commute ! Albeit clip on guards are fine for me.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A cyclocross bike will tend to have racy geometry because cyclocross events are races.
Yes. Short wheelbase/rear stays, higher BB, longer seat tube etc

The races are relatively short, so the bike will have no bosses for bottle carriers, or mudguards come to that because cyclocross racers never use them.
I've browsed numerous CX bikes this morning that had downtube and seat tube bosses for bottles. There is a sub category that's not quite a gravel bike with massive tyre clearance, and not quite a road bike that's generally 28/30mm max, where mountings for mudguards are common.

The Planet X London Road in my avatar being an example, it's great fun offroad with CX tyres on but while it could be raced in cross, the cable routing and geometry aren't ideal. Incidentally PX re-released them this week with 1x drivetrains

Cables will be routed above the top tube because the bike is designed to be shouldered.
Or increasingly common in this decade, internally, increasingly common with etap or a flavour of di2

The bike will not have very low gears because as soon as it's quicker to run up a hill than ride up, that's what cyclocrossers do.
The Canyon Inflite 5 has SRAM Apex 1x with a 40t front and 11-36 (11s) cassette

They're suitable to the purpose the rider requires, they're not designed to be tearing down Alp Du Huez at silly speeds in the same way they aren't designed to be doing laps of a velodrome. They can though, and people who use them for non CX purposes like commuting will evidently defend their choice.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
They get me on the trails and towpaths that my roadbike rears and refuses to enter.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Canyon Inflite 5 has SRAM Apex 1x with a 40t front and 11-36 (11s) cassette

That may be low for a road racer who uses a 28 to climb Mont Ventoux.
But by low I meant a mountain triple as fitted to any number of MTBs and flat bar leisure bikes.

The lowest gear on such a bike might be 36 at the back, but the lowest at the front would in the 20s.

For example, this Altus crankset goes as low as 22.

The fashion for 'one by' has changed things a little, but low in that case would have a dinner plate ring of 48 or 50 at the back.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-FC...IyNHX6t-w6wIVEoFQBh0U8QPbEAQYASABEgJBPPD_BwE#

Top Bottom