What are 'demonstrator cities'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Cab said:
In practical terms, what does it mean for a town to be a cycling 'demonstrator city'? I ask 'cos it appears we may be about to become one:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=319806

I looked into this in Aylesbury when I was thinking of moving there. It basically has a series of usable cycle paths that allow you to cycle anywhere in the town in a reasonably direct manner.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

domtyler said:
I looked into this in Aylesbury when I was thinking of moving there. It basically has a series of usable cycle paths that allow you to cycle anywhere in the town in a reasonably direct manner.

Heck, the roads in Cambridge don't allow you to do that. Not sure how such a thing could be implemented here to affect any kind of improvement. But I'll watch closely.

the plans vary, but the emphasis is on 'soft' measures rather than 'hard'. Personal travel plans play a big part.

Brighton & Hove has a long tradition of cycling stretching back well over a century to when the first cycling clubs and societies were founded in the early 1900s. Brighton & Hove is now bringing the city up to date for its 21st century cyclists, with plans to vastly improve the cycling network in the area.

Innovative ideas for the promotion of cycling are being encouraged. Local artists and performers have been asked to come up with their suggestions to increase cycling participation. One event, a 'Dance of Cyclists', will include a unique dance performance of up to 250 cyclists to audiences across the city along key walking and cycling routes. Local people will be encouraged to take part, particularly those who are new to cycling. The performance is scheduled to take place during In Town Without My Car Day in September 2006.

To comprehensively explain the benefits of cycling to the residents of Brighton and Hove, over 10,000 people will be contacted in the largest ever 'personal travel planning' project to be carried out in the UK. Individuals will be contacted via door-to-door visits, telephone calls and exhibitions to inform them of available travel options and their costs. For example, explaining the comparative costs of travelling by bus, train, car or bicycle will enable residents to make informed choices as to how they want to travel into the city. As part of this campaign Brighton & Hove will also be organising incentives for people to use their bikes, for example discounts at retailers for bicycle check ups and reduced costs for cycle training.

Brighton & Hove is the only Local Authority in the country to have a '2009 Year of Walking and Cycling' which will, combined with Cycling England's support, ensure cycling and walking projects at the forefront of transport planning in Brighton over the next four years.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
They've put some new signs up in Lancaster telling everyone they're a 'Cycling Demonstrating City". Only change I've noticed.

Top Bottom