What are my rights on a claim..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
New van
It's done 9 k miles
Gearbox has gone again.
Synchro on reverse 2nd and 3rd has become stiff and difficult to engage.

It was fully repaired at 5.5 k and it's gone again at 9k.
Van has warranty untill Aug as I bought it new with ten miles but it was already a year old ( pre registered).

I want the gearbox replacing.
Can I demand it ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Nope. That said, depending what's wrong with the box, it might be cheaper to replace it. If the synchro has gone again it'll likely be baulk rings, and to fail so quickly would suggest something is inherently at fault in the box, knocking them out.

Might be worth extending the warranty if you're planning to keep it?

PS, good luck getting it sorted.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Not good practice to repair a gearbox under manufacturers warranty. If its done 9k and on its second box I would be demanding a new box and taking it further if they don't. The van is not fit for purpose having done such a low mileage. Its not a Citroen/Peugeot by any chance?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@meta lon you can demand what you want but it doesn't mean it will happen i am afraid

Not good news for sure , try the repairing dealer first if no joy then go to the uk distributor and see what they say

is this on the FixItAgainTomorrow van ?

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Well it's back at the Fiat dealer next week.
They did the first rebuild and as it's only managed 3500 miles since the repair they want to strip it and talk to Fiat UK about it as it's not acceptable.

I'll let you know.
I have warranty until July 19 apparently.
So I'm ok for 2 or 3 more rebuilds :laugh:
Not that I'm finding this funny:banghead:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would start with a chat with the Dealer Principal and calmly say that they have had a chance to remedy the problem and that you don't have confidence that another repair will fix the problem. I would ask for a new gear box, but be prepared to accept an extension of the warranty on the existing box if they can fix it. If that they refuse to do anything other than another repair to get you through to July then i would be emailing arnaud.leclerc@fcagroup.com the Fiat Chrysler MD for UK and Ireland and letting his team sort it out.

Drago

Legendary Member
Speak to the after sales or service manager. The Dealer Principal usually has little or no authority over anything other than the sales side of the business.

But....keep your powder dry. See what Fiart UK say first. They may !make you happy first go, and there's no point pulling the trigger early, else you'll have no where to escalate it to if you don't then get what you want.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Got to say my last dealings with Fiat UK were excellent.
Prompt and quick to repair.
Main prob is I have to use Rockingham Fiat as no van franchise in Peterborough.
I get a courtesy car mind

Top Bottom