What are the advantages/disadvantages of joining a club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is not. I love to see the older guys still having fun on a bike, and women of course.

And age is extremely deceptive on a bicycle. There are quite a lot of older aged cyclists that are extremely competent on a bike.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
If you are really concerned that you won't keep up, then turn up on saturday and speak to one of the organisers and explain. If it was me (and I thought I couldn't average 13 on my own) I would say to them that if I am struggling then I don't mind being left behine and will make my own way back.
This. That's exactly what happened on my first club ride - the organiser asked if there were any new riders, told me the route they were going, and asked me if I knew they route; I did, and said I'd be quite happy to make my own way back if I couldn't keep up, as I didn't want to make a whole group of 20 riders hang around for me. in the end, it wasn't a problem anyway, and I had a lovely ride with them. I joined a couple of rides later.

Recycler

I've toyed with joining a club but the nearest is 10 miles away. Add to that the fact that most of their runs would be pushing me to my very limit, if not beyond, and I'm resigned to ploughing my furrow on my own.
Not that I mind solo riding, I go where I want, when I want and set my own pace. But I do think that a club could have some benefits.

I've toyed with joining a club but the nearest is 10 miles away. Add to that the fact that most of their runs would be pushing me to my very limit, if not beyond, and I'm resigned to ploughing my furrow on my own.
Not that I mind solo riding, I go where I want, when I want and set my own pace. But I do think that a club could have some benefits.
10 miles is a perfect warm up. My current club is only 1.75 miles away but my last one was 19miles away, that was a bit time consuming but by pacing myself really slowly I could still do the 43mile club run with mates, although I would tactfully suggest we went in the 9:45 rather than 9:40 (a slightly slower group :thumbsup:). If its a good club there'll be group you'll manage, give it a try or two sometime :thumbsup: I say two because most times I try a new group ride, I'm spat out the back the first time but the next time I'm usually not.

Nantmor

There are no disadvantages: if you don't like it you don't have to go.
I once got talking to a cyclist, who cycled alone, and after a bit of cycling chat, I thought he sounded like a good recruit for the club. I suggested it, but he said he would not be able to keep up. He quickly turned out to be too strong for our CTC group and began riding with the racing club, eventually becoming the long serving secretary.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You could always get a rack and take your car to the start point?

My club runs used to start 8 miles away and for me it was a nice steady ride to get warmed up, now they are only 5 miles away then i can just blast down .
Went on a club run today , point to point it was 62 miles heading up to Ashbourne around Dovedale with another 5 each way for me, the pace was steady as it is the "Medium " pace group so our average was less than 15 mph today because of the hills rated as cat 1 climbs by the bryton rider website a club member uploads data to , a puncture where the whole group waited and slowing down and giving riders who struggled pulls where you take the lead so they can draft at a pace they can manage or even one guy was being pushed up hills .This is a no -drop group and we make sure you will get home .

The puncture was mine and to my horror i discovered my pump that i had to buy a few days ago did not work properly so i was glad of some one having a pump.Yes i know i should test it first but you know what xmas is like ..

Top Bottom