What are the best folding bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
Unless you're somewhere dry, I guess. The running gear is so low to the ground that everything gets filthy in inclement weather, and wears quickly - hub gears are where it's at for year round small wheeled bikes.

That's a good rationale, but the argument falls down with the 6-speed brommie. I wish they did do a bigger range of gears in a hub.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
That's a good rationale, but the argument falls down with the 6-speed brommie. I wish they did do a bigger range of gears in a hub.
IME, they're six speed until the 2nd week of winter. After that, pick a sprocket & stick with it.

(I only have a 6 because Brompton wanted £75 more for a 2010 3 speed than the 2009 6 speed I saw in the shop was going to cost).

Ridgeways

Regular
As 'The Doctor' says, there is no one right answer, it depends on the use you want to make of it. If pure rideability was the criterion, I would have plumped for the Moulton AM series, that was a real eye-opener for efficiency and comfort. I would not call them properly a folder though - more of a break-apart for the car boot, and not that compact either. But they were a magnificent ride if you could afford them.

Top Bottom