What are the best rim brakes for a touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was bought a year ago to my spec so I blame my own ignorance above anything else. It was a stupid mistake that I won't be making again!

No, it was not a "stupid" mistake, it was a mistake made by quite excusable ignorance of the finer details. A "layman" should not be expected to know the finer points of cycle brakes and compatibility, and that is why you asked a shop to build it for you - part of that service should be to advise you if you need advice - and by requesting an incompatible setup then you needed advice, it was quite unprofessional of the shop not to offer it.

If a new gun owner walked into a gun shop and asked for something setting so that the gun would be likely to explode in his face, the gun shop would have no defence in saying "to customer's specification", they should exlain the dangers and if pressed to continue regardless, should refuse the business

Same applies

(I know nowt about guns so don't know if that's possible, but just to serve as an illustration)

The only "stupid" mistake now would be to go back to the same bike shop...

If you need a front hanger (likely) then get a good quality one - it might have no moving parts but has to handle cable pull without flexing

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Another option might be Mini-V brakes. They'll work with standard brake levers, including STI, SRAM etc.
I certainly find V-brakes a lot easier to set up than cantis, but that could just be me...

No, it was not a "stupid" mistake, it was a mistake made by quite excusable ignorance of the finer details. A "layman" should not be expected to know the finer points of cycle brakes and compatibility, and that is why you asked a shop to build it for you - part of that service should be to advise you if you need advice - and by requesting an incompatible setup then you needed advice, it was quite unprofessional of the shop not to offer it.

Yup.

Davidc

Guru
Another option might be Mini-V brakes. They'll work with standard brake levers, including STI, SRAM etc.
I certainly find V-brakes a lot easier to set up than cantis, but that could just be me...

I've just roughly estimated the lever to block mechanical advantage on those, from the photo so not very precise. It looks very similar to cantilever and dual pivot calipers, so I don't doubt they're effective but can't see any benefit to using them. Someone (Mickle?) please explain their benefits.

(Could be that they don't squeal as much as cantilever ones, though I seem to have tamed mine for the time being)

Easier to set up is the main benefit - there precious little increase in power.

A properly set-up cantilever can fling thee over t'bars. We used to race down-hill on them.

I support the march of technology as much as the next geek but it we needn't 'throw the baby out'. Cantilevers are perfectly decent.

OP
OP
Veloscot

Veloscot

Über Member
Don't forget you'll need 'hangers' too - they certainly don't come with the brakes and probably didn't come with your bike. Check out a touring or cross bike similar to yours to establish which bits you'll need. A headset mounted front hanger which replaces a washer/spacer is straight forward for the front brake. The rear might be more tricky depending on the shape of your bike. Then again you might be lucky and have them on your bike already, dormant and waiting for the correct brakes to come along.

Good point. Just looking at the back of my frame, there's no routing for a cable hangar for cantis. Is there maybe a seat post bolt that works as one?

zigzag

Veteran
provided that i want to keep the same bike, i'd get a disc fork, put avid bb7 road brake in the front and some cantilever brakes in the back. but overall it might be worth swapping the bike to a disc specific.. that's what i would do.

OP
OP
Veloscot

Veloscot

Über Member
provided that i want to keep the same bike, i'd get a disc fork, put avid bb7 road brake in the front and some cantilever brakes in the back. but overall it might be worth swapping the bike to a disc specific.. that's what i would do.

Discs? Bit overkill no?

How do you find the "self-energising" rear brakes?

They don't 'feel' any different, I've used them on a fully loaded bike in the Alps & on steep UK roads & tracks and found they had plenty of stopping power even from the hoods. They're probably pretty heavy compared to other brakes but that doesn't matter on a tourer. I don't know if they're still in production but SJS must have bought a load because they've had them at that price for ages. Bloody bargain imo.

Top Bottom