What are the current riding restrictions in Cymru?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
EDIT: the old thread has resurfaced: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-welsh-exercise-rules-clear-as-mud.260263/

OK, so I've found the "Overview": https://gov.wales/wales-extends-coronavirus-lockdown
The First Minister has today announced Wales intends to make a series of small adjustments to the regulations, including:

• Allowing people to exercise more than once a day, but people should stay local. This means any exercise should start and end at home and not involve going a significant distance from home.
Has there / is there further detail lurking somewhere about how to interpret "significant distance" ?

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
None that I've seen.

A "Significant distance" is open to interpretation. To a fat old geezer who hasn't sat on a bike for forty years that would be two miles, for the local road race champion 100 miles might just about qualify.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
None. As far as I know, we can cycle local to home. Ideally we should only go as far away from home as we can walk back home in the event of an accident or something going wrong with your bike.

Did they not say no more than ten miles from home.

So that's 10 miles out, start your circle , staying 10 miles from home.
Complete the 62 mile circle ( basic maths ) then 10 home.
82 miles.
Excellent practical geometry Sir!

But seriously, was the 10 mile thing ever an official guideline? I've only followed the England discussions until now, and us lay-people have spread all sorts of rumours about this number and that, without any foundation. Is it the same for Welsh law and/or Guidelines?

welsh dragon

It doesn't say 10 miles, just don't go farther than you can walk back if the need arises

welsh dragon

At the risk of being boorish, where is this written/declared? Officially I mean.

The first minister advised it. I wouldn't take anything that newspapers say as gospel. I would be wary of the date at the top of the newspaper. Road CC. Also has a piece about it.

pjd57

Veteran
Excellent practical geometry Sir!

But seriously, was the 10 mile thing ever an official guideline? I've only followed the England discussions until now, and us lay-people have spread all sorts of rumours about this number and that, without any foundation. Is it the same for Welsh law and/or Guidelines?
No idea, but I know I read it somewhere.
I tend to pay more attention to Scottish government advice.

Top Bottom