what are the going to do with all the Plexiglas post coronavirus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know there is going to be people who will say they will remain there permanently. I say rubbish. Particularly in pubs. I am going to ask for them, cold frames is the first thing that comes to mind. Enough and you could have a greenhouse at least one of the small ones that goes against a wall. Plexiglass can be cut easily? True or false? It would be much easier than using all the double glazing I have taken out of skips.
Anyone think of alternatives.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It tends to chip when you cut it unless you use the correct tooth form on the saw. It's easy to bend using a heated nichrome wire. Have a look on YouTube for acrylic or Plexiglass bender

gbb

Legendary Member
I cant tell you how much of the stuff (or varieties of) we have brought at my employers. Thousands of pounds worth and it has occured to me what the heck we are going to do with it all. We probably have hundreds of pounds worth of offcuts of maybe 4ft x 2ft, even that would be valuable somewhere.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

I cant tell you how much of the stuff (or varieties of) we have brought at my employers. Thousands of pounds worth and it has occured to me what the heck we are going to do with it all. We probably have hundreds of pounds worth of offcuts of maybe 4ft x 2ft, even that would be valuable somewhere.
Near enough perfect for cold frame would also work for a greenhouse. You could probably use it without even cutting it. The obvious place to put is freecycle.

OP
OP
N

Notafettler

It tends to chip when you cut it unless you use the correct tooth form on the saw. It's easy to bend using a heated nichrome wire. Have a look on YouTube for acrylic or Plexiglass bender
Don't think I would need to bend it. Would you cut it with a jigsaw?

Most of it is best cut like glass, scored and then snapped. I've been cutting some 5mm today which is easy enough, beyond that it gets tough as it flexes unlike glass which just snaps. On the other had you can multi score plexiglass which obviously is a big no no with glass.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
It might have a short life if it does not have resistance to UV. We had a small shed where the windows became brittle after a few years.

Ive been waiting for the end of these difficult times mainly so I can get my hands on some used acrylic sheet for the greenhouse/ workshp/ bike shed I am building.
The suppliers are all sold out.

I know there is going to be people who will say they will remain there permanently. I say rubbish. Particularly in pubs. I am going to ask for them, cold frames is the first thing that comes to mind. Enough and you could have a greenhouse at least one of the small ones that goes against a wall. Plexiglass can be cut easily? True or false? It would be much easier than using all the double glazing I have taken out of skips.
Anyone think of alternatives.
I'll be buying some, I've asked someone who runs a place with 10mm lexan, it was all he could get in a hurry and there's metres of it. It has so many uses it would be easier to list what it's not useful for. The 4mm stuff is handy too for the garden.

Top Bottom