What are the new choices for hydraulic disc brakes for CX?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim O'Reilly

I know about the Hope ones but what else is out there or best or better than the Hope ones that I'm told are quite stiff?
Anything now on the horizon?

Thanks.

Howard

TRP has some prototypes. Other than that you have a nice load of vapourware to chose from ;)

You running cable pull right now? If so the stop-gap is using the best cables and outers that money can buy.

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

TRP has some prototypes. Other than that you have a nice load of vapourware to chose from ;)

You running cable pull right now?
Hi Howard,

Thanks!
I'm running that new bike of mine with the Tektro Lyra cable discs which are OK, but compared to my mountain bike with its Hope's, they seem hard work but probably a lot better than canti's? I'm just spoilt I suppose!:hello:

Howard

I haven't used the Tektro Lyras so I can't comment on them. But you could try an avid BB5 or BB7. Both work well when set up properly but the BB7 is the most powerful. As above the stop gap till hydraulics is using super high quality sealed cable like the Gore sealed system.

mattsccm

I put up with Lyra's for a while but finally gave in and went BB&. different league. Lyra's tended to be very erratic and when it was very wet the arm seemed to go "over centre" and all breaking went. Backing off brought things back. Hardly reassuring.
Re hydros you have Hope or TRP. hope are more common. They seem popular , impossible to find any 2nd hand anyway.Bit of a thread on STW about them currently.

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

I put up with Lyra's for a while but finally gave in and went BB&. different league. Lyra's tended to be very erratic and when it was very wet the arm seemed to go "over centre" and all breaking went. Backing off brought things back. Hardly reassuring.
Re hydros you have Hope or TRP. hope are more common. They seem popular , impossible to find any 2nd hand anyway.Bit of a thread on STW about them currently.
That's really good information.
I spoke to a friend who had the BB7's and he said that he felt they were similar to hydraulic brakes. Possibly worth considering before the TRP or Hope ones!

Howard

The Hi-Ro looks like jokes...not sure what the advantage of having the reservoir on the caliper is. The Spyre is probably the most interesting in that lineup.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've used tektro lyras, Avid BB7's and Hayes CX-5 on drop bars.
Without a shadow of a doubt the tektro lyras are the worst of the 3.

The Avid BB7's and Hayes CX-5 have very similar braking performance and are very good. I believe the CX-5 is slightly heavier than the BB7's.
I currently run CX-5's with jagwire compressionless cables and have no issues.

I've not used hydro brakes on mountain bikes for around 6 years, so can't comment on if they offer the same performance / feel.

mattsccm

I reckon my new BB7's are not as solid as the ancient and knackered Juicy 5's on the MTB.
Of course lever design is, I think, more suitable for a big pull on MTB brakes.
I would like to find out about the newish Shimano road disc calipers. Can't see them making a dog.

Howard

[QUOTE 2299930, member: 45"]Rose bikes do basic Shimano hydros for under £50. Not sure what drop-bar brakes they'll work with.[/quote]

Errr precisely none. Well, not modern integrated shifters anyway that are beyond the prototyping stage.

£120 for the BB7's. Could be worth a try as all the comments are positive.

They aren't cheap are they? Try and pick up a caliper second hand for the front. If its an improvement, get one for the rear, too. Again, unless you are running high quality cable and outers it's a bit of a waste of time.

OP
OP
Tim O'Reilly

Tim O'Reilly

I'll put up with the Lyra's to see if they improve, I've only done 60 miles with them last weekend so let's see if they bite a little better today before I starve the family!:stop:

Howard

Because they can't fit the master cylinder/fluid inside the brake gear levers. Yet.

Sorry, yeah, that's obvious - I was more referring to the advantage when compared with a stem mounted system like Hope's.

Top Bottom