What bike for my Mother

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
She has just bought this :laugh: third hand and its too big for her .

mypictures001_zps9b0e02ee.jpg

But that's the type of bike she wants and as her Birthday is soon I thought I would buy her a bike as that's the bestest prezzie ever !

But I need help as I don't know anything about this type of bike ( not that I know a lot about any bikes )

Cyclist33

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Dawes make some good stepthroughs with big wheels. Maz has a 7 speed hub one similar to Scotialass's new bike but with a smaller frame/lower seat height.
( Despite me showing her the correct seat height many times she likes to get her feet down)

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
:laugh: I did think of getting her a roadie but at 65 and spending her working life cleaning and looking after people I don't think she is up too it . I could be wrong though .
P.S. If my Mother smoked me on Strava I would be proud :thumbsup:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
:laugh: I did think of getting her a roadie but at 65 and spending her working life cleaning and looking after people I don't think she is up too it . I could be wrong though .
P.S. If my Mother smoked me on Strava I would be proud :thumbsup:
@Cuchilo re above comment my mum use to race in the late 50's and early 60's and i cant get near her best times for 10,15 & 25 miles time trials so dont worry about it

What about that nice little Peugoet you had a while back !!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I sold that a while back .
She is going to take the one she has to the LBS to see if it fits .Hmmmmmm

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Decathlon Elops range, Edinburgh Bikes Revolution Heritage (both excellent from personal experience of the ladies in the family). For a second had option, your key ebay/gumtree etc search terms would be: Dutch Bike or Step Through Frame.

or maybe a mixte?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
P.S. check out the gearing too, derailleur ones are usually geared like MTB's on the rear for cruising & comfort going upwards but hub geared ones tend towards a standard 3 speed range which may be a bit of a struggle for an older person & if you live in hilly or rolling country.

Pashley make very nice bikes too if money isn't an issue.

or for a classic/retro vibe could you consider a Raleigh shopper aka Raleigh Twenty?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raleigh_Twenty

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I did look at the giant offerings but having found out myself that giant bikes take giant accessories I'm not sure its such a good idea . I don't mind myself but I think mum would like to shop around for panniers etc rather than be restricted to one shop that isn't exactly the cheapest .

vickster

Legendary Member
Odd, so the rack on that bike won't take any other sort of pannier?!

I had a topeak rack on my avail, crud mudguards (although frankly they were and the giant ones are far better)

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
No idea what it fits to be honest . Its just what I have found after buying giant bikes .

Top Bottom