What bike for touring in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
Budget?

Are you planning on cooking or eating out?

A nice sturdy bike with mudguard eyelets and low gears. I'd recommend MTB gearing (ie 44 tooth chainring and a 12-34 cassette) - you can do it with higher gears, depends a lot on personal preference and fitness. But if you're not sure then err on the side of lower.

Drop bars or flat bars are again pretty much a matter or personal preference.

jay clock

Massive member
I'd recommend MTB gearing (ie 44 tooth chainring and a 12-34 cassette)
You probably mean a triple of which the largest will be 44. MTB's largest ring will be 44 , smallest down to about 22

drop down bars is a must,
I did about half a dozen tours on my Saracen -(Galaxy lookalike) and loved it. I have changed it for a Koga Miyata World Traveller which I also love. That has straight bars with bar ends, and was fine around NZ which has plenty of hills. A massive massive plus was that the Shimano XT braking is a big improvement on any drop bar bike brakes I have had.

If budget is tight my personal choice would be a non suspension MTB, with slicks. However you do need to check heel clearance as the smaller wheels result in shorter wheelbase. Ebay could turn up a few year old bike of high spec in its day. Just an idea....

OP
OP
O

ontheroadtofrance

I have a racer at the moment so it could be possible but i dont want to change my bike at all, i have had a look at the Claud Butler Regent 2008 i have had a look already at the bike before i came on here it is a very nice bike with the right things i need for my trip.

alicat

Legendary Member
The Claud Butler Regent doesn't look bad for the money but it's hard to see what the gear ratio is. It also mostly seems to be available from less mainstream retailers. If it were my money I'd explore the second hand route or plump for the Edinburgh Bicycle coop bike. They have a good reputation for providing well-specced bikes at a fair price.

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
You probably mean a triple of which the largest will be 44. MTB's largest ring will be 44 , smallest down to about 22

Yep. I should have said 44T (as opposed to 48T or bigger). Just a 44T chainring on its own would be hard work!

The Revolution Country Traveller does look pretty good for the money (in fact I'm not sure what else is around at that sort of money. 48T chaninring so I'd better backpedal a bit on the gearing front.

dragon72

Guru
I'm a big fan of the Dawes Horizon as an entry-level tourer. Mine's done 10,000km in 4 years, including 5 x >1,000km fully-loaded camping tours with very few probs. Only had to fit a new bottom bracket, rear cassette and chain recently.

Top Bottom