What bike gloves to buy for the winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fram

The Decathlon / BTwin 500 winter gloves are good for really cold days, I've had mine a few years now (different colour but same design by the looks of it).
https://www.decathlon.com/collections/bike-gloves/products/biking-winter-gloves-500?
They're not fully waterproof but they keep most showers out should it get wet, and they're properly windproof.

It's funny but I find Sealskinz next to useless. Mine were expensive and leaked water despite claiming to be waterproof... the Decathlon are better at keeping water out. Maybe I had a duff pair but at that price I wasn't paying twice to find out.
That's been my experience with Sealskin too.

si_c

Guru
When like me you're 6'4" and built like a stretched orangutan these are difficult to come by. Having discovered Showers Pass jackets, I'm now happy.

I'm the same - need an additional 2" of sleeve length just to get the cuffs at the right length. Castelli do a waterproof rain jacket which astonished me by being long enough in the arms in a 2XL size - even though it can be a little tight around the midriff if I put even the slightest amount of weight on. I'll take a look at the Showers Pass jackets though.

But definitely keeping the amount of exposed skin to a minimum makes keeping warm and dry much easier.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'll take a look at the Showers Pass jackets though.

Massive cuffs and very long sleeves, capacious vents, good reflectives. Mine's an XL but I strongly suspect even the L would be OK (XL a bit baggy), but I was far too lazy to go through returns process to test it out. Easily the best cycling waterproof I've had. Alas eyewateringly expensive, but I'm guessing that applies to Castelli too.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Massive cuffs and very long sleeves, capacious vents, good reflectives. Mine's an XL but I strongly suspect even the L would be OK (XL a bit baggy), but I was far too lazy to go through returns process to test it out. Easily the best cycling waterproof I've had. Alas eyewateringly expensive, but I'm guessing that applies to Castelli too.
I agree, I got the Showers Pass Elite last year, they're absolutely the best jackets out there. The sleeves are long when you're standing but they're perfect for being on the bike, which let's face it is the whole point.

byegad

Legendary Member
After several cheap pairs over the years I bought some specialized waterproof ones from a shop while on holiday in York. They are the dog's dooh-dahs. Warm, truly waterproof if reproofed in the washer now and again, they've lasted me years.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've got these for winter commuting/club runs Bar mitts. They look ridiculous, but paired with some long fingered gloves (or a pair of wool gloves for the really cold sub zero days), will keep your hands both warm and dry.
I have some too for winter commuting if like me you have bad circulation they are a blessing , otherwise i am impressed with the aldi winter gloves i just picked up a bargain if there are any left .

Top Bottom