What bike is this? From old Scientific and Technical Catalogue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
scientific and technical cat 3 (6).JPG

I couldn't recognise the paint job or head badge from this low res picture. I was just curious. Maybe a special generic style bike a bit like the Halfords branded bikes that came from British factories. Much more convenient stem shifters on it than downtube.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
No idea what bike it is but it has reminded me that I had those daft half guards on my Carlton 10 back in the early 70's.

What was the point of them I wonder.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Looks a bit meh.

Could that name be "Hi-Speed". Or maybe it says "10-Speed".
1690802980135.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
No idea what bike it is but it has reminded me that I had those daft half guards on my Carlton 10 back in the early 70's.

What was the point of them I wonder.

My first new bike was a Raleigh Arena and same near useless mudguards. Is that an indicator that it could be made at Raleigh or were such stupid mudguards featured on multiple brands I wonder. My Raleigh Arena spoke protector looked very similar too as did the brake levers and rear derailleur. Although my Arena was only 5 speed and had a downtube shifter.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My first new bike was a Raleigh Arena and same near useless mudguards. Is that an indicator that it could be made at Raleigh or were such stupid mudguards featured on multiple brands I wonder. My Raleigh Arena spoke protector looked very similar too as did the brake levers and rear derailleur. Although my Arena was only 5 speed and had a downtube shifter.
They were pretty universal in the 70s. My memory is not great but a pal of mine got a brand new Sun racer for Christmas one year, which we all envied. I seem to remember it had shorty mudguards.

Drago

Legendary Member
Is there a year on the brochure?

Windle

Über Member
My first bike kindly bought by my doting parents was a Triumph Twenty - I didn't cycle for years after that

Mine was a Triumph of some kind too, second or maybe third hand. It was orange and had a curved top tube, I'm not sure it even had gears, but I learned to ride on it through trial and error (no stabilisers in those days). My first new bike was a Viscount Fargo International (I think), in a lovely metallic blue colour (very similar to my Univega MTB actually), with those yellow / gold Bluemels type mudguards. It was, sadly, only a three speed Sturmey Archer set up, I'd really wanted a proper racer with derailleurs but those were out of my price range at the time (I think around 1977 / 1978). It cost £50 from Thornley's toy and pram shop on Darlington's North Road, with another £1 for delivery I seem to recall. It served me well enough though and it undoubtedly started my interest in 'proper' cycling. My first 'big' ride on my own would have been around 1978 when I rode to Darlington and back (on the footpaths mind :blush:), a distance of around twenty miles! Apologies for the thread diversion but that picture got me all nostalgic ^_^.

Top Bottom