What bike parts need cabeling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kr4t0z

I know it's a noob question.

Might need to setup my bike one day.

What bike components need cabeling?

Cheers :biggrin:

Norm

Generally, gears and brakes.... although brakes could be hydraulic (and thus need tubing) and gears could be nonexistant (and thus need nothing).

But, generally, gears and brakes. :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Only being a t!t....:laugh:

Brake cables and gear cables..... replace when things get sloppy.....sloppy depends how much attention you take to cleaning and maintenance...... you'd be surprised how much better things work with new cables.......:ohmy:

Di2........... ride real fast, get sponsorship, and a team of mechanics and computer whizzo's will fix it.....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:;):evil:;);)

OP
OP
K

Kr4t0z

Thanks guys! Really helped.

Another question ;): What if I wanted to change the way cables are managed like stick them to top tube etc. And what do I need to do that?

Thanks,
Kim

Kr4t0z said:

Another question ;): What if I wanted to change the way cables are managed like stick them to top tube etc. And what do I need to do that?

Thanks,
Kim

Cable Ties ?
whistle.gif

spence

Über Member
You've forgotten some items..................how about a remote lockout or gravity dropper, surely these need to be taken into account.

02GF74

Über Member
Kr4t0z said:

Another question :smile:: What if I wanted to change the way cables are managed like stick them to top tube etc. And what do I need to do that?

Thanks,
Kim

you may not be able to do that.

you need to understand how a cable works. it has inner wire and an outer flexible but largely incompressible tube and the outer needs to be fixed at each end to something which does not move for the system to work.

basically you will find cable stops for the brakes and gears attched to your bike, either soldered onr or welded on, and the outer must butt up against them - this will limit on the way you can run the cables.

Cubist

Still wavin'
02GF74 said:
you may not be able to do that.

you need to understand how a cable works. it has inner wire and an outer flexible but largely incompressible tube and the outer needs to be fixed at each end to something which does not move for the system to work.

basically you will find cable stops for the brakes and gears attched to your bike, either soldered onr or welded on, and the outer must butt up against them - this will limit on the way you can run the cables.

You can convert a bike to completely covered cables, so you can route the cables however you want to, but you may be limited as the post quoted says, to the final run into the mech by the angle or shape of the stop.

Top Bottom