what bike question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snapper88

As my previous thread (winter hack) stated I'm interested in getting or converting to singlespeed.

I would prefer to have a mtb with 26" wheels. I've looked on a couple of local retail store websites (Evans & Leisure Lake) They all seem to be 29ers or road bikes. Does anyone know where to find 26" singlespeed or would the stores be willing to change a 29er to 26" wheels?

Thanks
Tom

park1

Most off the peg as seem to be for road/urban use so use 29er or 700c wheels.

The only 26" single speed specific frames I could see are the surly 1x1 (£399 frame + fork) or on one inbred (£199 frame only). Both have horizontal dropouts. It would probably be cheaper to buy 2nd hand and convert with a kit.

I'm pretty sure putting 26" wheels on a frame designed for 29" wouldn't work, but I may be wrong!

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I had an old Saracen 26" MTB lying around in the garage that I converted to single speed. It has its uses - the fat tyres come in handy on muddy canal towpaths, the upright position makes it nice to tootle through towns and cities on summer days, a box on the back is useful for shopping trips and the since it cost bugger all I'm relaxed about leaving it with minimal security. But it doesn't see much use these days because it's heavy and slow - which is a shame because the beauty of single speed is that you can make a bike that's light and fast. If you're set on converting an MTB I'd suggest buying a cheap one off ebay or Gumtree. Choose one with rigid forks to keep the weight down.

OP
OP
Snapper88

Snapper88

Great spot Old Plodder exactly what I was looking for!! Was 2 weeks away from buying a Surly 1x1 but this is more the price range I was hoping for

Top Bottom