What bike should I get??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any bike that is good on the road will be bad for stunts and visa versa. You can pick up used bikes fairly cheaply at garage sales, car boot sales etc, if you know what a quality bike looks like and you keep your eyes open. A road bike and a bmx will cover your needs.

vickster

Legendary Member
Or keep the current bso for stunts

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Your thinking that mountain bikes are slow is somewhat flawed. Any bike with a fair bit of weight on it is going to be slow and in my experience, theres little heavier than a hybrid.
Your 400 euro gets you this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-540-mountain-bike-275-grey-id_8350454.html
No heavier than my tourer stripped of all accessories and that was good enough for 50mile club runs.
After a while having saved a few pennies (whatever that is in euros) you could buy a set of slick tyres that'll help it roll along much easier.
I never broke a mountain bike through jumps. Ever.

OP
OP
W

Wintor

Your thinking that mountain bikes are slow is somewhat flawed. Any bike with a fair bit of weight on it is going to be slow and in my experience, theres little heavier than a hybrid.
Your 400 euro gets you this https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-540-mountain-bike-275-grey-id_8350454.html
No heavier than my tourer stripped of all accessories and that was good enough for 50mile club runs.
After a while having saved a few pennies (whatever that is in euros) you could buy a set of slick tyres that'll help it roll along much easier.
I never broke a mountain bike through jumps. Ever.

Ok, if I take ur advice and buy a mountain bike... would this be a good one? Its a bit more expensive but looks rly good. Also will wheelies be easy to do on it?
http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/atx.2/28587/101110/

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I couldn't tell you if it was any good for wheelies as that's more down to the rider than the bike but I'd say for the extra money it'll cost, you wouldn't be getting much more of a bike than the one I mentioned. Any new bike to an owner will take a little getting used to if its different to what he/she was previously using.
Decathlon bikes are amazingly good value compared to other bikes with a similar spec...it's the main reason they get reviewed so well, but I wouldn't say you would get a bad bike from the Giant. I've had 4 of their bikes and always liked how they handled.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
You said you wanted to keep up better with your friends, on the road. If that's still the case, don't buy a mountain bike.

Why not?
Plenty of people on mountain bikes glide past me easily when I'm riding.
The rider makes the difference, not the bike.

Hybrids generally are heavy and certainly not built for jumps and wheelies.
Road bikes definitely aren't built for that.
Mountain bikes are. Slick tyres will significantly reduce the rolling resistance making it easier to keep up with his mates and unless going through utter swamps, will be perfectly good for some average offroading.
If my tourer on Voyager Hypers can be offroaded...so can a slick tyred mountain bike.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I couldn't tell you if it was any good for wheelies as that's more down to the rider than the bike

Up to a point. Some bikes are easier to do wheelies on than others, that is a simple fact.

Plenty of people on mountain bikes glide past me easily when I'm riding.

They would glide past you even more easily on a road bike.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Up to a point. Some bikes are easier to do wheelies on than others, that is a simple fact.

They would glide past you even more easily on a road bike.

The bikes frame geometry (shorter wheelbase, shorter chainstay and angles would I grant you make one bike easier to wheelie than another, but unlike a bikes geometry, the rider can adapt and learn. Hence it's more down to the rider.
Road bikes are generally designed and built for speed and mile munching.
Mountain bikes are designed and built generally for taking knocks and maneuverability. That's the wheelies and jumps sorted.
A set of smooth lightweight tyres, bar ends, flipping the stem and if possible locking out the front shocks would go a long way to making it quicker for road use.
Try converting a road bike for wheelies and jumps and you're hitting a brick wall. Not that it can't be done, but it's a heck of a lot harder.

Top Bottom