what bike to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dougie08

hi I am looking at getting a new bike, i have around 700 pound to spend, I am getting it on the cycle to work scheme, any suggestions?

i currently have a BH road bike bike, so i would like another road bike

vickster

Legendary Member
Which retailers can you use?

For £700 I'd look at something like a Giant Defy 2 (although RRP is higher you should be able to find a 2013 in budget although will depend on your scheme)

The Boardmans from Halfords represent good vfm.

Do you need clearance for mudguards and rack as it's a commuter?

Do you have a shortlist at least?

Full price if restricted to that by C2W, you may get 10 speed Tiagra or SRAM Apex but more likely 9 speed Sora depending on brand

OP
OP
D

dougie08

Hi Vickster

thanks for the reply

I have been looking at a Kuota Korsa light which has been reduced to £700
Frame: Aluminum.
Available in sizes 1 - 5
Please call for sizing information.
Forks: Aluminum.
Rear Derailleur: Sram Apex
Front Derailleur: Sram Apex
Shifters: Sram Apex
Rims: Shimano R500
Miscellaneous: Also avalible in -

and the cannondale caadx sora c which has been reduced there both 2013 models, cant spend a lot this year on a bike i get married this year

Frame
: CAADX Cyclocross, Optimized 6061 Alloy
Forks: Cannondale Ultra X, carbon blades, 1-1/8"
Rear Derailleur: NEW Shimano Sora 3500
Front Derailleur: NEW Shimano Sora 3500, 31.8 clamp
Shifters: NEW Shimano Sora 3500
Chainset: NEW Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL2, Aero Spider, 54/42
Bottom Bracket: Cannondale Aluminum PF30 BB Cup, FSA Ceramic BB30 Bearing
Chain: SRAM PC-1091R, 10-speed
Freewheel: SRAM RED, 11-26, 10-speed
Headset: CAADX Si, 25mm top cap
Stem: Cannondale C4, 31.8, 6 deg.
Handlebars: Cannondale C4 Compact
Front Brake: Tektro CR520
Rear Brake: Tektro CR520
Brake Levers: Shimano Sora 3500
Rims: Shimano RS-10
Front Hub: Cannondale C4
Rear Hub: Cannondale C4
Spokes: Stainless Steel, 15g
Tyres: Schwalbe Sammy Slick, 700x35c
Saddle: Cannondale Stage CX w/ Steel Rails
Seatpost: Cannondale C4 alloy, 27.2mmx300mm
Pedals: Wellgo
Grips: Cannondale 3.5mm Suede w/ gel backing bar tape

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally, i'd go for SRAM over Sora but then I don't get on with Shimano hoods

Your second choice is CX rather than road, good for commuting if it what you want

If you're on the Halfords C2W scheme there are some cracking deals to be had on last years Boardmans. Big discounts on top of your scheme discount. Limited stock but worth looking at. The only downside - last years colours - but if that doesn't bother you then they're bargains!!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
@dougie08 -

If you are a bit strapped for cash & have a wedding this year & also already have a BH road bike.
Why not delay your purchase of a new one & then treat yourself to a higher specced bike in 2015 ?

You could probably bang on a set of light weight tyres (Schwalbe Ultremo, Continental GP's, Specialized Turbo's or Michelin Pro 4 Service Corse) & some lighter tubes from Continental & make your BH lighter/faster/zippier & feel a lot better then save or wait 'till next year for a better bike.

Dont forget also that a £1k bike on C2W scheme effectively costs around £700 inc tax/n.i savings.

Good Luck Hunting.

Personally i would always go for shimano over sram, just suits me better. Just goes to show that everyone is different. At that price i would be looking at either the boardmans or the cube peleton range.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Personally i would always go for shimano over sram, just suits me better. Just goes to show that everyone is different. At that price i would be looking at either the boardmans or the cube peleton range.
+1 for Cube Peloton as this will be my N+1 by spring summer (Peloton Race).
I will then have 1 bike with Sram Force (Sintesi Z2) & the other with Shimano 105 -(Cube)
Could get confusing. :wacko:

Rob B

Regular
I know it's not a road bike (it's a touring bike) but I recommend the Revolution Country Explorer from the Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative...it cost me £674 and it can double up as both a bike for commuting or for doing long distance trips.

I bought mine last year, which came in a dark red colour, and I am very happy with it. At the moment I am using it to commute to work so I currently don't have the pannier rack or the mud guards on and it looks as cool as any road bike you'll see. However, I will be putting all the trimmings on it in a few months when I use it to cycle along the Silk Road...and I guess that will be the true test for it!

Anyway, in my opinion it offers great value for money...

http://road.cc/content/review/19389-revolution-country-explorer

OP
OP
D

dougie08

thanks for the replies all, much appreciated,

I think i am going to wait till 2015 and invest in a higher spec bike, i got rid of my car last year, so instead of buying a new car next year, i am just going to invest in a better bike after i am married , the other halves idea this was ha

Top Bottom