What bike to buy? ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.

What bike shall I buy? Budget is anything up to £1000 (or just over) and ideally I would like it to be lighter than 9kg & have 700c wheels. I would mainly use it for commuting to work (round trip of 8miles a day).

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably a roadbike? Do you want to add full mudguards and a rack for commuting? Why does it need to be under 9kg, do you have to carry it up lots of stairs?

Best go to a few local shops, see what they have, what you like, have a go on those. Come back for opinions on your shortlist. Are there hills on your route, if it's fairly flat, a single speed could be ideal

There are as many opinions as there are bikes (and there are dozens that would meet your criteria) :smile: is this your first roadbike? Spending £1000 on a bike for 8 miles a day seems like overkill but it's your cash

SteCenturion

I am your Father
You probably have a a choice of 500+ different models in your price range across all brands & types.

Is it on the Cycle to Work Scheme ?

If a road bike is what you need then maybe consider a 2014 or 2013 bike with a good discount, often only the colours change but 2015 saw a lot of 11 speed group sets on new bikes.

A good place to start is the Carbon 2014 Cube Agree GTC with 10 Speed Shimano Tiagra for under £800 (save the rest then upgrade to 11 speed 105 later on)

A 2013 or 14 Carbon Giant defy or TCR Comp.

2014 Carbon or Aluminium Cube, Giant, Cannondale, Specialized, Felt, Boardman would all be good quality.

vickster

Legendary Member
Carbon might be overkill for an 8 mile commute and less flexible in terms of proper mudguards and a pannier rack

Oh, and it melts in the rain! :ohmy:

OP
OP
S

sobeitjedi

At the moment I have a Boardman hybrid. I could go to a road bike but I'm reluctant to move to drop handlebars having never used them before.
Don't need a pannier.
I can. fit my own mudguards.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's wrong with the Boardman?

You fit mudguards of course, IF there's clearance for decent ones

With your budget, I'd look at the Whyte hybrid range or the higher Ridgeback flight models. Carbon forks and disc brakes

e.g. the Stirling

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/...iantId=80590&gclid=CLD0wr-g8MMCFRQatAodRDsA9Q

Or if you want something a bit different, how about a carbon flat bar job from Planet X

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPFBTIA/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-tiagra-flat-bar

I wouldn't discount a drop bar bike, most of the time you ride on the hoods, but have the option to change position etc

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What's wrong with the Boardman?
H*lf*rds is a lottery, especially if you don't know which local staff are any good or can do your own mechanical checks.

I think some local bike shops still stock it, though. 8 miles a day, I'm not sure I'd be worrying too much about weight and I'd get something I think I'd enjoy... but that will differ for everyone. I love my cheap gas-pipe vintage roadster inexplicabley much but few around here would rate it. In any case, I'd keep some money back for decent locks and possibly somewhere secure to keep the bike at each end of the commit.

JCroxton1

Try this: www.bikesheduk.com/specialized-secteur-elite-disc-2014

It has slightly wider tyres for extra comfort, easily fits mudguards - a godsend when commuting in the wet - and has disc brakes.

Under £700 for a £1200 bike.

OP
OP
S

sobeitjedi

This is the bike I currently have, and I must say, I'm underwhelmed. This may be more to do with the Halfords service though. The brakes have been crap since I got the bike. Have taken the bike back 3 times but still the brakes squeak like mad. Other components on the bike seem to be deteriorating quickly too. Really disappointing when you pay £1000 for a bike.

So what should my next bike be?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This is the bike I currently have, and I must say, I'm underwhelmed. This may be more to do with the Halfords service though. The brakes have been crap since I got the bike. Have taken the bike back 3 times but still the brakes squeak like mad. Other components on the bike seem to be deteriorating quickly too. Really disappointing when you pay £1000 for a bike.
Well, a drivetrain on that sort of bike is easily £70 retail, so £1000 won't go a long way once you've got big-box-chain overheads. Have you tried replacing the pads with something cheap-but-OK (Lifeline/Ashima?) and setting the brakes up yourself? It's a bit mucky and tedious but not that difficult (plenty of instructions online - I'd look for ones that tell you about winding the cable adjuster in while positioning them - EDIT: ignore that, I forgot it's hydraulic :rolleyes:) and it doesn't sound like you can make more of a mess of it than they have! :laugh:

So what should my next bike be?
Something cute from a more designer-y maker? ;)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
It's what you think that's important. However, Specialized bikes do tend to be under specced components wise compared to the competition (although owners rave about the frames). Oh and your review is for a different bike to the one linked

If drops definitely aren't for you, I stick by my Whyte & PX suggestions. The Cannondale Quicks are well regarded too

Cyclist33

Well, a drivetrain on that sort of bike is easily £70 retail, so £1000 won't go a long way once you've got big-box-chain overheads. Have you tried replacing the pads with something cheap-but-OK (Lifeline/Ashima?) and setting the brakes up yourself? It's a bit mucky and tedious but not that difficult (plenty of instructions online - I'd look for ones that tell you about winding the cable adjuster in while positioning them) and it doesn't sound like you can make more of a mess of it than they have! :laugh:

Something cute from a more designer-y maker? ;)

er, reality check time!

there should be no reason for that boardman to be a disappointment. the spec sheet reads well. sounds more like a clasic case of poor setup and or maintenance. get it to a local bike mechanic who isnt at halfords and pay them 50 bob to "rebuild" the bike, ie set it up as if it were new out the box. take some time then to fiddle with the seat position and handlebar height so you get it comfy. i bet youll start enjoying it.

squeaky disc brakes in my experience are usually because they have oil or moisture on the discs which you could look at cleaning off, its much cheaper than spending a grand on another bike.

stu

Top Bottom