What bike to buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/284978/products/2015-giant-defy-4-road-bike-white-black.aspx

This would be my suggestion, going by the size chart your size is available. It is good value at the reduced price.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
You suggesting i build a bike with previous comment

Yes that was a suggestion. but i also pointed you in the direction of a Triban 520 as an alternative to that.

Hell a Triban 500SE costs £380 right now. Technically its not as good as the Triban 3 it replaced but its still a decent bike.... Just upgrade the wheels to Mavic Aksium Ones or something lighter as i have heard the stock wheels are quite weighty.

Mavic Aksium Ones cost anywhere between £80-100 on ebay.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The OP is using it on a turbo, don't think the weight of the wheels really matters

@Stoves

Just to clarify for everyones sake - Do you eventually plan to take the bike out on the road? Because If the bike is never going to leave the house then you dont even need half the amount youre specifying. (and everyone making suggestions that fit your budget are wasting their time)

My suggestions are based on the assumption on the budget of £450 that maybe you might want to take the bike outdoors for rides when the warmer weather finally gets here.

If thats not the case then any £80 bike from Tesco or Argos will easily do. Its cheap, it will fit on the turbo and you can ride it but you might not enjoy it as much if you ever decide to take it outdoors.

Id hate to be wasteful and spend £80 for a bike that will never leave the house only to want it to leave the house when the sun comes out then spend another £450.
At £450 at least you have something half decent for longer rides.

I know for a fact that I will literally be riding until the sun goes down when the summer comes. Thought maybe you might like to do the same.

OP
OP
S

Stoves

I wiil bectaking the bike outside when weather breaks but where i live that will be april

So im looking for good bike for my budget 450.00

Thanks for all hints and advise il make a decision this week

OP
OP
S

Stoves

Something to throw into the mix i was fitting a stove today and the customer had a planet x cross cyclocross bike set up on a turbo trainer whats the deal with these baring in mind i will be turbo trainer and road cycling only should i forget about these type

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
No but if really only riding on the road, a roadbike is probably the best tool for the job. CX new at least tend to cost more and there are fewer sold and less choice, so a roadbike will give you better bang for your buck most likely

OP
OP
S

Stoves

well thats it bought went for the giant defy 3 at £399.00 from rutland be here in a couple of days

Now to find a decent turbo trainer ?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
well thats it bought went for the giant defy 3 at £399.00 from rutland be here in a couple of days

Now to find a decent turbo trainer ?
Did you get the right size? I think they only had XS (under about 5'4) or L/XL for riders well over 6ft

Plenty of turbo discussions if you search. The Elite one from halfords seems popular and often on sale

Yes the order went through i ordered a large and it said in stock for 2 day dispatch

Hopefully thats the case

Probably should have done more research instead of buying the cheapest Defy 3 you could get. There's a good chance the L will be too big. BB

hi newbie just joined

After years in motorsport now given up im looking to try cycling and start at homecwith a turbo trainer and a decent but not bank busting road bike

My question is budget £450.00 what bike brand and model would you reccomend me

Thanks

Off topic but what made you give up motorsport? I used to love motoring myself but have lost interest in it due to speed cameras and increased level of traffic. Not problems I would imagine you get in motorsport.

Top Bottom