What bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigfella

Über Member
Well as you all know I've started commuting and my bike isn't a true road bike.

I plan to put the tyres back on and store the MTB at my parents - where it is actually hilly, green and muddy! I then plan to swap some of the bits around such as the computer, saddle etc etc.

I'm after a nice road bike, here is my criteria:

Over 61cm in size (inside leg is 89cm approx)
Fairly lightweight but not flimsy
Not too sure about drop bars just yet
Ability to fit a rack and mudguards

Wouldn't mind a Bianchi, Focus or Felt as they do look good and the reviews aren't bad either.

Perhaps what I pointing towards is a tourer rather than a road bike based on the criteria above? That been said, does anyone know of a make/model that do larger sizes?

Thanks for anyones input.

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
trek and orbea, give them a go ;)

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Whats best for me do you think, road bike or a hybrid?

Alternatively, could I get hold of some rigid forks and turn mine into a hybrid?

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Can you still fit guards and rack on them?

Also, don't forget I'm partly doing this to loose some weight. I.E I am heavy - in the region of 130kg, will a road bike be strong enough?

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
a road bike can take any weight, some of the cheaper road bikes you can fit racks and guards ok, its when you get to around 700 they loose the ability to. check before you buy though

benguin

I second the Orbea recommendation. The Onix is light, comfortable but also comes with a lifetime warranty on the carbon frame, with no weight restriction. So that might just be the ticket for you (in terms of peace of mind). Drop bars can be comfortable too, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. If you can, get them fitted with 'sportive specific' drop bars (the reach to the drops is reduced and the general position more upright).

ben

Radius

SHREDDER
bigfella said:

That bike is belt drive :evil:

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Yes it is, they are supposed to be lower maintenance, quieter and cleaner.

That particular bike gets very good reviews. It does tempt me!

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Yes thats something I would look at. I guess really I don't need mudguards etc. Something to keep out the dirt from the front mech would be quite good though.

I have a Caradice bag that fits to the seatpost anyway.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Sittingduck said:
What's your budget bigfella? ;)

a very good question.

My thought is......wait. You've started commuting. Are you going to go from commuting to weekending, to long distance touring, to racing, to street polo....?

Give some real thought to where you want to be in a year, and maybe the MTB will stay as your commute bike, and you have something exotic for the weekend....

OP
OP
B

bigfella

Über Member
Not sure on budget at the moment, just saw that Trek Soho and thought it would be the ideal commuter bike. I like the idea of the belt drive too from what I have read about them.

Thought I could return the MTB to how it should be and leave it at my parents as they aren't far from the ridgeway / hilly Wiltshire.

Then I can keep the commuter here, as already I'm finding I'm running out of gears and know I can push it faster.

Top Bottom