What book(s) kindled* your love of reading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
James herriot, Morse, Dalziel & Pascoe? I don't quite know why but whenever I realise a book is a well known TV series I find it a big red flag telling me to avoid. Unfair I know! It also stops me reading the authors other doc too.

Having said that I have read collected stories of sherlock Holmes, but in my defence bought for me and I didn't realise it was also in a TV programme at the time. I was young and probably my parents thought I was too young for the TV adaptations at the time.

Does anyone else have these irrational decision factors too?

Not really, but I would be slightly dubious if it was a film while the series (assuming not a one-off book) was still being written.

In many cases, I read the books before any films were made.

tyred

Legendary Member
James herriot, Morse, Dalziel & Pascoe? I don't quite know why but whenever I realise a book is a well known TV series I find it a big red flag telling me to avoid. Unfair I know! It also stops me reading the authors other doc too.

Having said that I have read collected stories of sherlock Holmes, but in my defence bought for me and I didn't realise it was also in a TV programme at the time. I was young and probably my parents thought I was too young for the TV adaptations at the time.

Does anyone else have these irrational decision factors too?

The James Herriot TV series was a bit before my time and I didn't even know it existed until years after I read the books. I had read at least a dozen of the Dalziel and Pascoe books before realising there even was a TV series as I've never been big into watching TV. I did know the Morse programmes but I enjoyed the novels much more.

I don't understand the logic behind not reading books that have been adapted for TV or film myself. Most of the celebrated works have been. Have you read things like Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Great Expectations, or Wuthering Heights?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I will only read books that have had cartoon adaptations.

So after Watership Down I'm a bit stuck. I suppose there's always Dostoyevsky's Wacky Races and The Hair Bear Bunch by Camus.

Not really, but I would be slightly dubious if it was a film while the series (assuming not a one-off book) was still being written.

In many cases, I read the books before any films were made.

Game of Thrones is the possibly the most famous example of that, though George R R Martin did give the producers broadstrokes of where the story was going, the series then went off into it's own tangeant. Although I have seen the theory GRRM actually won't finish the books at all now as the TV series was pretty accurate to what he wanted to do, and it ended up being so negatively received he doesn't want to do it now and has no more ideas what to do instead.

gbb

Legendary Member
Another one...and I still have it upstairs, a whacking great atlas from probably the 1960s..
Countries, continents, geographical stuff, chapters on life on earth through the eons, populations, etc etc. Quite a few colonial places, Zimbabwe is Rhodesia etc etc. I'd spend hours reading, just looking at cities and places around the world.
Hours of wonder looking at it.

Top Bottom