What books have you started reading During Lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaykun85

Hey Guys

Im finding my days are getting more ad more repetitive while being stuck home .. so I decided to start reading books again.
Have any of you started the same with all the free time we have on our hands and if so what are you reading.

I have just started the Discworld Novels by Terry Pratchett. Always said I would read them now this seems the perfect opportunity to start, and I plan to read them all in the order they came out :smile: So Colour of Magic at the moment :smile:

Up until a few weeks ago I hadn't read any books for something like 40 years!

However, I have now discovered the power of printed paper (can't stand the thought of a kindle) and started off with Vulcan 607 by Rowland White, which is the accurate telling of the truly amazing accomplishment of the last of these iconic aircraft which were just about to be withdrawn from active service and how they had to re-train the crews with regards to air to air refueling, find previously scrapped or discarded parts for the bomb bays etc. etc. A truly brilliant read.

Chris Ryan, I have now read several of his books, including the Killing Zone (I found it difficult to stop reading it), The One That Got Away (all based on his own experiences behind enemy lines), Zero Option (loved it)

Ian Rankin, Westwind (brilliant), Even Dogs In The Wild (good)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I always have a book on the go, so the lockdown's made no real difference as far as that goes (currently indulging myself with a bit of Wodehouse):

1588844841598.png

But the one book I have found time for due to the current situation is a massive tome called CENTURY, which has lurked on my shelf for many a year, it being a photographic record of the 20th century. Full of fantastic images, and a great way of passing a few idle hours. I'm only a quarter of the way through thus far, but for a few examples...

1588844988854.png

1588845008491.png

1588845027980.png

Feel free to guess what the middle one features... ^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've always got a book on the go and until this Covid thing Maz would often pop into charity shops and buy a couple, obviously not possible now. So I've started reading Bernard Cornwell's 'The Last Kingdom' series in order (and hoping the new one comes out soon)

JPBoothy

Veteran
Yes, I always have a book in my bag, glovebox or desk just in case I have some time to kill.. No kindle for me either, as there are some things that should be just left alone IMO. I like to swap authors/characters regularly though to keep my interest but, as I tend to read in short bursts of 'as and when', I have to do the occasional bit of backtracking to see who certain characters are.. Pure escapism that you can use to shut out the rest of the World and just chill-out :cuppa:

Smudge

Veteran
Yes, I always have a book in my bag, glovebox or desk just in case I have some time to kill.. No kindle for me either, as there are some things that should be just left alone IMO. I like to swap authors/characters regularly though to keep my interest but, as I tend to read in short bursts of 'as and when', I have to do the occasional bit of backtracking to see who certain characters are.. Pure escapism that you can use to shut out the rest of the World and just chill-out :cuppa:

Ereaders are very beneficial to some. So its good that we have electronic books and i cant ever see paper books going away because of it.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Ereaders are very beneficial to some. So its good that we have electronic books and i cant ever see paper books going away because of it.
Absolutely, each to their own. That is why I used the internationally recognised acronym for sitting on the fence (IMO) :okay:

AndyRM

XOXO
My bookshelves are rather bleak. I finished 1984 yesterday, and while it's a great book it is far from uplifting. Before that was Brighton Rock.

I've just started Nadia Bolz-Weber's excellent Accidental Saints, which while not entirely without sadness has a considerably chirpier outlook.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Been rereading Stephen King's The Stand. Perfect book for our time.

I'm a fan of real books versus Kindle but for space reasons have started buying some books for the Kindle. I have so many books that there is no longer space to store them - and that's even with only keeping the good ones that I might want to read again or refer to. Plus there's some great deals on Kindle books - how about The 39 Steps for 49p?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I read a lot but still fail to keep up with Lovely Wife who ploughs through books like there is no tomorrow.

Currently reading:

https://www.davidbaldacci.com/landing-page/david-baldacci-camel-club-series/

Liking what I have read so far.

As an aside I've never understood the popularity of the Discworld novels. They are very formulaic and are really, imo, best suited as a teenage read. :ohmy: I know this will not be a popular opinion btw.

For a better class of fantasy take a look at China Meiville's brilliant novels or something like Feersum Endjinn by Ian M Banks.

All uphill

Still rolling along
My bookshelves are rather bleak. I finished 1984 yesterday, and while it's a great book it is far from uplifting. Before that was Brighton Rock.

I've just started Nadia Bolz-Weber's excellent Accidental Saints, which while not entirely without sadness has a considerably chirpier outlook.
Haven't read "Brighton Rock" for years!

Thanks for the prompt!

Top Bottom