What brakes are these?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member

I think they may need re-cabling and some new blocks however I don't want to waste money on the wrong type.

I was eyeing up some standard MTB V-blocks but decided I would ask the nice tinkering folk on here first. I am renovating it as a commuter hack.

Gary E

Veteran
They went under different names but basically they're Duel pivot centre pull brakes, very retro.

IMHO it'd be sacrilegious to change them for nasty modern ones! :rolleyes:

Looks like someones fitted more modern brake blocks (rather that the old chunky rectangular ones).

Give 'em a clean up and they'll look lovely :thumbsup:

Low end of the range centre pulls. I wouldn't get too emotionally attached to them, there are very many much more effective brakes on the market. Someone has plonked modern V brake blocks in them..... the wrong way round too...

OP
OP
Garz

Garz

Squat Member
So you reckon a good clean is all that is required?

I can pickup new brake blocks from the local decathlon (MTB type) that are almost identical for around £4.

Gary E

Veteran
Obviously you have the option to upgrade everything with modern stuff if you want.

But there's nothing wrong with a nicely restored bit of history. I rode a bike with those brakes about 30 years ago.

New cables might be a good idea if the old ones are a bit tatty/rusty. Does it have those old brake levers that extend underneath the top of the handlebars?

OP
OP
Garz

Garz

Squat Member
You mean the death grips? - no, but I will be applying new bar tape and it may be a good idea to overhaul all the cables now instead of later and having to undo the bar tape?

Gary E

Veteran
Sounds like a good plan.

There's an old bike that's been abandoned in a bike shed at work. If I can find out who it belongs to and talk them into donating it I'd love to restore it back to it's 1980's glory days.

It'll never win any races but it's a real blast from the past, center pull brakes like yours, tube mounted gear levers (like yours) and those brake extension lever thingamajigs. All I need is scabs on both knees from falling off and It'll be just like the old days :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

Old style centre pulls, I rode weinman, centre pulls for years. New cables and a clean up then drop a set of Koolstop Salmons in them.

http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php/954/kool_stop_continental

They wont match modern brakes but should stop OK.

Gary E

Veteran
0620170639.jpg

These are the guys! I'm getting all emotional now :shy:

OP
OP
Garz

Garz

Squat Member
Haha yes I purchased an old resprayed gold bike to the letter of what you described above when I was a young teenager. It had sponge grips, but for the life of me I can't remember where it went and why I got rid of it.. :headshake:

OP
OP
Garz

Garz

Squat Member
Old style centre pulls, I rode weinman, centre pulls for years. New cables and a clean up then drop a set of Koolstop Salmons in them.

http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php/954/kool_stop_continental

They wont match modern brakes but should stop OK.

Good spot that man!

I will ponder on my choices and post back with the before/after pictures. Currently you REALLY have to tug the levers to the bar for it to touch the rims, so unless the blocks can be adjusted nearer or the brake spring I will have to have another think.

D

Deleted member 1258

Good spot that man!

I will ponder on my choices and post back with the before/after pictures. Currently you REALLY have to tug the levers to the bar for it to touch the rims, so unless the blocks can be adjusted nearer or the brake spring I will have to have another think.

Check the condition of the outer cable, if its spongy or damaged replace it, if you can find some heavier duty outer cable that fits it will help the braking. In the 1980's I used to use Pollards cycle shop on the Binley road, Alf who ran the shop used to keep a roll of heavy duty outer cable, I think it was moped cable, behind the counter, it was sold by the yard and when we brought a bike we would replace the outer cable with this and notice the difference in braking.

simon.r

Person
...so unless the blocks can be adjusted nearer or the brake spring I will have to have another think.

It looks as if the washers (spacers?) are all to cock - the left pad (as I'm looking at it) has both washers on the outside, the right pad has the thin washer on the inside, the thick one on the outside. You'd get the pads closer to the rim by putting the thick washer on the inside on both pads.

Too many insides and outsides in that sentence - hope it makes sense!

Top Bottom