What breathable, hi-viz waterproof jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As per title... I need to replace my current hi-viz waterproof jacket. Only issue is it needs to come in women's sizes please and must be very breathable and have pit-zips and a rear pocket... so no major requirements there then :laugh:

My current one, a dhb Ladies Signal Jacket, is giving up the ghost and tbh is not breathable enough even with the pit-zips fully open, made worse by failing Velcro, a slight altercation with some barbed wire and the seam tape coming off...

Suggestions please...

Finance will stretch to £75 or so if needed because my bike is my only transport during the week and I have sold my turbo trainer so have the cash to pay for a new jacket....

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Do you mean very breathable in winter or also in spring and autumn?

I can't cope if I get too hot but in late autumn, winter and early spring I manage with the Night Vision Evo (I don't know what they're selling for these days). The rest of the year, I prefer to get wet from the rain than from the inside out.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I sweat a lot (always have done) so something that is very breathable for everyone else usually leaves me slightly, err well, damp is the best phrase I can come up with. At the moment I am getting too wet on the inside and would be better off riding in my mountaineering jacket were it not for the lack of reflective material on it (something I did do on tour, but then had plenty of reflective patches on the panniers...) But I prefer something in hi-viz and not dark blue when cycling around dawn and dusk and my mountaineering waterproof is dark blue and has a hood...

I can't afford to get wet on my top half because of my health issues - being a severe asthmatic (9 sets of meds to control it) means that getting chilled if I get wet is not a good move and last year when I went down with a chest infection in April, it was August before I was able to cycle again and even then I was probably out too soon!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Obviously there's no way of comparing like for like but it works for me and I run stupidly hot, or so my friends tell me. IMHO, there's no such thing as breathable *and* waterproof. Can you not get a hi viz tabard or belt to put over your other jacket if that's a concern?

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Obviously there's no way of comparing like for like but it works for me and I run stupidly hot, or so my friends tell me. IMHO, there's no such thing as breathable *and* waterproof. Can you not get a hi viz tabard or belt to put over your other jacket if that's a concern?
We have tried that on tour, but it kills the waterproofing breathability (editted to correct mistake) and I'm not sure I want to kill a £290 mountaineering jacket commuting to and from my mothers!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Yes, it's lined, with pit vents and rear pocket.

I wear a size 10 but I'd say it's more like a 12, which is no bad thing - can fit lots of layers underneath it without suffocating if need be.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd say the Nightvisions generally come up quite big , although the female ones are short on the arms if you have men's length arms and are tall!

If you are normally a 12-14, then the 12 would be ok from here, 2012 model for £75

http://www.pedal-pedal.co.uk/altura...-yellow.html?gclid=CIWT0eXC_rsCFQMYwwodrRgAwg

Tredz have a men's small in red for £65 if that might work

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Altura-Nigh...aign=Adwords&gclid=CN_niJjD_rsCFXHJtAodlyIARQ

Size 8 non evo here for £35 if petite#

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALTURA-WO...-BREATHABLE-CYCLING-BIKE-JACKET-/400313652137

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Yes, it's lined, with pit vents and rear pocket.

I wear a size 10 but I'd say it's more like a 12, which is no bad thing - can fit lots of layers underneath it without suffocating if need be.
at the moment I am still only wearing a 160 or 200 thickness merino wool top and either my windstopper (black) top or my current waterproof which is not lined. If it drops too far below -5C then I add another thin layer or move up to the 260 thickness merino wool top - so I guess I run warm as well!

Just realised I have an altura night vision windstopper top - size 12 which runs a tad baggy on me (currently carrying slightly more weight than normal due to steroids) - had not appreciated it was altura...that solves the sizing issues out!:laugh:

Herbie

Veteran
As per title... I need to replace my current hi-viz waterproof jacket. Only issue is it needs to come in women's sizes please and must be very breathable and have pit-zips and a rear pocket... so no major requirements there then :laugh:

My current one, a dhb Ladies Signal Jacket, is giving up the ghost and tbh is not breathable enough even with the pit-zips fully open, made worse by failing Velcro, a slight altercation with some barbed wire and the seam tape coming off...

Suggestions please...

Finance will stretch to £75 or so if needed because my bike is my only transport during the week and I have sold my turbo trainer so have the cash to pay for a new jacket....

Altura Night Vision is good but you'll to spend another £20 or so

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Hi-viz doth offend mine eye.

I'd got for red, lilac or purple if it were me. and I'm a guy :thumbsup:.

If you google "women waterproof cycling" and follow the shopping link you may find some Montane and Altura or Showers Pass stuff going cheap.

EDIT: also check out Merlin Cycles - they often have old stock on clearance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Hi-viz doth offend mine eye.

I'd got for red, lilac or purple if it were me. and I'm a guy :thumbsup:.

If you google "women waterproof cycling" and follow the shopping link you may find some Montane and Altura or Showers Pass stuff going cheap.

EDIT: also check out Merlin Cycles - they often have old stock on clearance.
hi viz may offend your eye but having been hit once and left unconscious I prefer in dull conditions not to rely on the UK drivers' inability to use their headlights when common sense (and often the law) states they should do. reflective material is of no use whatsoever when it has no illumination.

the rest of the time I ride in all black clothing!

and being a red head and not being the girly girl my mother hoped for any variation involving red/pink
and often pinky purples is not liked in this household. they clash with my hair ;)

as it was I was after recommendations from real cyclists who have actually used said garments and not manufacturers descriptions. I will check out Merlin Cycles thank you. don't mind old stock it is how I pick up most of my kit including the Altura night vision black woodblocker top I currently have for £29.99

SWSteve

Guru
Have an Altura Evo jacket, very nice jacket, there is a mesh lining but that's to keep the outer off your skin IIRC. The pit vents are good when warmer/light rain so you can stay cool and there is a rear vent. The fleece neck inner is a nice touch as it is more comfortable than other 'functional' coats I have owned which do not.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Have ordered an Altura Evo jacket... shall see what it is like at least. Concerned I may be too warm in it with it being a lined, heavier weight jacket given that with my unlined one currently I have the pit zips all the way down and I am too warm most of the time! I'm guessing I am going to end up needed something more lightweight for summer use but that makes the assumption my asthma allows me to cycle this summer in the first place!

Top Bottom