What breathable, hi-viz waterproof jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I got the Mountain Warehouse jacket linked about a week ago last Saturday from their shop at Thornbury. I'm 5`11", 40-42" chest and weigh about 13.5 stone and the medium is a good fit with plenty of arm length. The cut is biased towards cycling.
I wanted a waterproof jacket to wear each day so that I wouldn't get caught out by the unpredictable showers at this time of year.

I've been wearing it every day on the commute, rain or not, all of last week. I also wore it out on a family bike ride on Saturday that ended up in high winds and a horrid rain & hailstorm with us all sheltering in the lee of a hedge !

It is completely waterproof, thankfully.

It has kept me perfectly dry in a heavy downpour and the adjustable neck does up nice & snug, so rain can't get down it. The adjustable hem drops down well at the back too. There is a fairly big rear pocket and a smaller chest pocket which takes my phone in its waterproof case. The zips are waterproof and don't let a draught in. There is plenty of reflective piping on the back. I was utterly unbothered by very heavy rain.

It's not especially warm so good attention to layering is required - underneath, I have been wearing a thin Tenn polyester jacket over an Aldi winter cycling jersey. This in temperatures of 4-10 degrees and I have been comfortably warm.

It's moderately breathable - I've not worn Gore Tex but I have worn non-breathable "boil in the bag", and I find that this is fine, less sweaty for my 10 mile/15mph commute. There are zippable side-vents which I have been leaving open. If I think it's getting too hot, I open the zip a few inches and it doesn't fill up with air.

It scores well over the previous thin waterproof jacket I was using, as it won't balloon out like a parachute when riding along. The old jacket used to let the wind in through the zip and the neck.

I think it's good value for £35.00 and certainly suits my purposes.

Top Bottom