What can a joinery workshop make to help out in our current situation ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
What about just volunteering your skills actually in the hospital. I'm sure they would soon think of something.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The shortage of face visors got me thinking . I could knock out halo's all day long by bending wood . Velcro some plastic to that and you have a face visor for a nurse / doctor . Just dont have plastic or velcro .

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
you could beg/borrow the use of a 3d printer or two, and set up a gofundme to pay for the plastics and start priniting them. Someone local to us has done this.

Slick

Guru
The shortage of face visors got me thinking . I could knock out halo's all day long by bending wood . Velcro some plastic to that and you have a face visor for a nurse / doctor . Just dont have plastic or velcro .
My local plastics factory have switched from making models and other mundane bits of tat to producing hundreds of masks per day. I'm not trying to belittle your efforts in any way shape or form but would you have the scale to make such a difference, and yes I know every little helps but I reckon your skills could be put to much better use.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
My local plastics factory have switched from making models and other mundane bits of tat to producing hundreds of masks per day. I'm not trying to belittle your efforts in any way shape or form but would you have the scale to make such a difference, and yes I know every little helps but I reckon your skills could be put to much better use.
Not myself but i do run a wood working forum and i think with pro workshop members could do 100 a day each . They are spread over the country / world . Then you have the hobby woodworkers / bloke in a shed .

Slick

Guru
Not myself but i do run a wood working forum and i think with pro workshop members could do 100 a day each . They are spread over the country / world . Then you have the hobby woodworkers / bloke in a shed .
Fair enough, good luck then, I hope you manage it. 👍

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Fair enough, good luck then, I hope you manage it. 👍
Can you give me details of your plastic company ?

tom73

Guru
Contact your local hospital and see what they think you can help with.
Many more people are in lockdown than normal with not much to pass the day.
What about making some birdtables see if care homes or contact LA to see if people at home would like one.
One idea for PPE, the face masks with ear loops start to hurt your ear after a bit. One trick Mrs 73 knows is use a paper clip.
You attach the loops to each end of the clip. It take's them off the back of your ears. As the clip sits at the back of the hand you still get a tight fit. It can be a bit fiddly though. Maybe make some wooden peg alternative that's not as fiddly. Maybe a bit simple but if it makes them more comfy then it means a lot.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hancock said at the 5pm press conference McLaren and some other company were making visors.

Not sure what they want in wood, but there may be something.

Top Bottom