What can cause a mobile phone to discharge over night ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Any obvious reason this should happen?

The in built obsolescence necessary to keep people buying phones when for the majority of people, phones have reached the point where you don’t want to upgrade because a newer model has features you don’t have on your current one.

Lithium batteries have a defined life cycle, usually in terms of the number of full charge cycles it will take. For a mobile phone this is often in the region of around 1000 full charge cycles, although more recent batteries do have a better charge profile as a result of better chemistry and more intelligent charging of the battery itself (not simply charging as fast as possible as with early smartphones).

The Galaxy S5 was released in 2014, with it's replacement released a year later, so the phone itself is probably in the region of 8 years old, I'd say the battery has done remarkably well. A replacement should give at least a year or so of additional use which for £20 I think is fairly reasonable.

That being said the lack of security updates is no small thing and a replacement should be considered eventually.

icowden

Veteran
A replacement should give at least a year or so of additional use which for £20 I think is fairly reasonable.
Except that the replacement battery will likely cost a fiver and it's just a case of peeling off the back of the phone and swapping the battery. At that point £20 looks quite unreasonable!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just phoned a recommended repair shop......20 quid fitted.
TBH I expected worse than that. Will give that a punt as MrsD is happy it suits her needs.

£20 fitted sounds very reasonable to me, battery cost, wages, overheads, VAT, etc. and you'll have a phone which will last a while longer.

I know the batteries degrade over time and don't disagree with any of the remarks to that effect. BUT........it could be worth trying a factory reset. I've known this to solve battery issues on other devices.

Please make sure you've got a full backup in your Google account before doing this.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
OOPS
I found a local guy who would do it for 15 quid so I arranged for him to call round and do it.
Now.........
This where I show my true lack of tech knowledge.
He looked and said, sorry mate, its not a 5s. Its an A20e and the battery does'nt clip out so it will be 25 quid.
Dilemma now......new battery or new phone.

si_c

Guru
OOPS
I found a local guy who would do it for 15 quid so I arranged for him to call round and do it.
Now.........
He looked and said, sorry mate, its not a 5s. Its an A20e and the battery does'nt clip out so it will be 25 quid.

That makes more sense given your initial indication that the phone was about 3 years old. I'd still think it better to replace the battery than the whole phone, it's much less wasteful. You'd also be expecting to spend well over £100 for a replacement phone.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
OOPS
Now.........
New phone 👍

icowden

Veteran
So he was willing to take your money to do something that you didn't really need any help with and could have been talked through. That said, a non-changeable battery is much more complicated. Offer him £20 :-)

Value of repair to phone is now 20% rather than 50% which is better. I presume you are on pay as you go and buy outright. You could get a Moto E7 which has a fantastic camera for about £100...

If the local phone repairer had to take it apart to find out it's an A30e and not a 5s then I'd be question his ability!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
So he was willing to take your money to do something that you didn't really need any help with and could have been talked through. That said, a non-changeable battery is much more complicated. Offer him £20 :-)

Value of repair to phone is now 20% rather than 50% which is better. I presume you are on pay as you go and buy outright. You could get a Moto E7 which has a fantastic camera for about £100...

Not really.
1. He said.......before paying for a new battery he I will check your phone for other issues.......thats when he explained things to me.
2. It is on contract (which has expired) so I pay for the sim card.

Top Bottom