What can I expect?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
I have realised I am 'cramped up' when riding my bike. My bike just feels a tad too small. I have raised my seat by about 1/2 inch so my tip toes just touches the floor when I am seated. What can I expect by such an adjustment? My bike frame size was recommended at Evans so I'm assuming it to be correct. Thanks

The ground to look a little bit further away?

At the bottom of your pedal stroke your leg should be just slightly bent 25 deg?? ie not quite straight. wether this results in you being on tippy toes will depend on your crank length, If you where experiancing much knee pain before moving the saddle then getting it right could eliminate that.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-how-to-get-your-seat-height-right-14608/

gavintc

Guru
The distance from the ground to the seat is not an important one. The distance from your seat to your pedal is. For a rough saddle height adjustment, place your heel on the pedal and you should have a straight leg with your bum on the saddle.

Turning to the 'cramped up' feeling. If you want to stretch out more, you can get a longer stem (the bit of metal between the bars and the forks). But, many people do not like being too stretched out as this effectively lowers your back into a race type position. A good idea would be to get someone to take a pic from the side with you on the bike and post on here.

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Thanks for the replies. I'm off out for a ride tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on. I'll take my allen key tool with me just in case.

OP
OP
lavoisier

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Went for a ride, 32.5 miles, well chuffed. Managed hills I previously stopped for a breather(I never walk up hills just stop until I can carry on and then start again). My cadence seemed to be faster and I didn't get tired as quickly. All in all I improved in most areas, the only thing that was bad was the aching in my shoulders and lower back but I guess that's just bending over the bike a little further. Very happy bunny. Thanks.

Top Bottom