What cassette removal tool do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy1

Hi, I am trying to remove this
2mwz70x.jpg
bike cassette anyone know what tool I need?

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat

Mile195

Veteran
You DON'T need a cassette removal tool or a chain whip- that's not a cassette but a freewheel block - the sprockets are all part of one unit. The whole thing spins on to a thread about 2 inches in diameter on the side of the hub.

You need a freewheel remover, a 'kin big socket wrench and strong arms.

When I take freewheel blocks off, I turn the head of my big torque wrench round, crank it up to maximum torque and use that.

Have fun - it's VERY satisfying when it releases!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Chapter and verse! The section that applies to you is Threaded Freewheel Removal and Installation.
I used to grip the tool horizontally in a heavy bench vice, and grip the rim of the wheel to apply leverage. The vice must be firmly fixed :excl:

Reactions: gbb

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You DON'T need a cassette removal tool or a chain whip- that's not a cassette but a freewheel block - the sprockets are all part of one unit. The whole thing spins on to a thread about 2 inches in diameter on the side of the hub.

You need a freewheel remover, a 'kin big socket wrench and strong arms.

When I take freewheel blocks off, I turn the head of my big torque wrench round, crank it up to maximum torque and use that.

Have fun - it's VERY satisfying when it releases!
^^^ This. Not having anything better I use an extending wheel wrench and appropriate socket for the freewheel tool. The freewheel will be extremely tight and will likely release with a bang. As @Mile195 says it is very satisfying.^_^

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Good luck with this, the first time you try it, it is akin to the mystical and arcane art of removing cotter pins. But, as with all things , it becomes more understandable and less aerospace each time you do it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Chapter and verse! The section that applies to you is Threaded Freewheel Removal and Installation.
I used to grip the tool horizontally in a heavy bench vice, and grip the rim of the wheel to apply leverage. The vice must be firmly fixed :excl:
Good advice, my preferred method as well.
Don't underestimate the force required to shift some freewheels, I had one tool shatter as I applied force using the above method, and it was a pukka Shimano one. Just goes to show how tight they can be. Mind, it is just possible I overtightened the tool in the vice, therefor stressing the tool before I even started. I don't think so, but it is possible.
Equally, ive had some undo quite easily, lean over the wheel, use your chest weight on the rim to hold it all steady and crank away.

Top Bottom