What chain lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
How often do you reapply it in the summer, for example?
In full summer probably every 500 miles or so in winter probably every 300 unless I've been on a practically wet ride . More often than when I used dry lube summer or wet lube in winter but when I touch my drivetrain to do anything my hands get no black gunk on them now

Jameshow

Veteran
I use Wilko bike oil. But now the local shop has closed I'll have to look else where or online.

But the mini drink oil so perhaps I'll nick some of thiers!!

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Depends what you're looking for. What bike, ridden in what conditions, what weather, how much?

Just a few replies on here so far, and people are already recommending products by Finish Line or Muck Off, which are one of the worst on the market - both in terms of power losses as well as drivetrain longevity.

There are some good classic drip lube options out there - Silca Synergetic, Rex Black Diamond are one of the best that come to mind.

If you want to go a step higher you can look at wax drips - Silca Super Secret, Ceramic Speed UFO, Tru Tension Tungsten, etc.

The ultimate solution is, of course, full immersive wax. Best wear protection, best efficiency, least messy. But people are generally not that enthusiastic about it - mostly due to misconceptions.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Power losses? It's a bicycle :scratch:
Typical response - focusing on the power loss bit and completely ignoring all the other benefits - massive savings on replacements chains, cassettes, chainrings; longer service intervals, environmental impact and time savings.

I'll leave you lads to recommend palm oil or some other crap. Over and out.

vickster

Legendary Member
Typical response - focusing on the power loss bit and completely ignoring all the other benefits - massive savings on replacements chains, cassettes, chainrings; longer service intervals, environmental impact and time savings.

I'll leave you lads to recommend palm oil or some other crap. Over and out.

lads? :scratch:

A chain lasts me several '000 miles (so a few years as I have multiple bikes with just using a wet or dry lube depending on the weather at the time)

You were the one who mentioned power losses first in your sentence but didn't actually explain how a specific chain lube impacts hence my query :rolleyes:

Palm oil is very bad news for the orangutans habitat so a big no-no environmentally

Last edited:
Top Bottom