What chain lube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I thought that was a type of beauty treatment?

Or are you getting beautiful knees?

Confused...

A naturally occurring substance in joints
https://trbchemedica.co.uk/products/ostenil

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Any more details on the test protocols those numbers come from, to give context to the numbers?
In a nutshell: Every 'block' is 1000km. First one is dry and no contamination - pretty self-explanatory (real-life situation would be indoor cycling). Second is dry and some contamination (real-life situation would be dry and dusty road/CX/gravel). Third is a repeat of the first after a full clean. Fourth is wet and some contamination (real-life situation would be wet road/CX/gravel). Fifth is another clean and no contamination (repeat of first and third). Last one is extreme contamination (real-life situation would be muddy MTB/CX).

Based on what sort of riding you want to do, you can look at specific testing conditions and make an informed decision. The biggest downside is that the lube that you're looking at is not on there - because of how long it takes them to get through the test protocol.

I personally find the 'cost to run' table most interesting. It's a per 10000km estimated total cost of using each lubricant - including cost of the solution itself, as well as worn components (calculated on Ultegra-level stuff), based on mixed riding from blocks 1-5 (so without extreme contamination).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
In a nutshell: Every 'block' is 1000km. First one is dry and no contamination - pretty self-explanatory (real-life situation would be indoor cycling). Second is dry and some contamination (real-life situation would be dry and dusty road/CX/gravel). Third is a repeat of the first after a full clean. Fourth is wet and some contamination (real-life situation would be wet road/CX/gravel). Fifth is another clean and no contamination (repeat of first and third). Last one is extreme contamination (real-life situation would be muddy MTB/CX).

Based on what sort of riding you want to do, you can look at specific testing conditions and make an informed decision. The biggest downside is that the lube that you're looking at is not on there - because of how long it takes them to get through the test protocol.

I personally find the 'cost to run' table most interesting. It's a per 10000km estimated total cost of using each lubricant - including cost of the solution itself, as well as worn components (calculated on Ultegra-level stuff), based on mixed riding from blocks 1-5 (so without extreme contamination).

What chains are the tests run on, is it a fixed gear / cadence or are the gears shifted etc?

Reactions: C R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Didn't Rolls Royce used to use Sperm Whale tongue oil in gearboxes?

Daresay it's reassuringly expensive. Why not just go for that?

(For most mortals, merely anything is better than nothing, and the gradations between different ones are moot)

[Addendum: apparently not just Rolls, and jojoba better still. Who knew! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sperm_oil ]

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I kind of feel like you're interested in every detail so just visit their website - everything is public so you should be able to find whatever you need. From memory it's 250W input and Ultegra (11-speed) componentry.

Sorry whose website, can you provide a link? First time you have mentioned there’s a website you’re getting your info all from.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sorry whose website, can you provide a link? First time you have mentioned there’s a website you’re getting your info all from.

Jameshow

Veteran
I kind of feel like you're interested in every detail so just visit their website - everything is public so you should be able to find whatever you need. From memory it's 250W input and Ultegra (11-speed) componentry.

How does a baseline chain fair say 5w30 engine oil or 3in1 oil.

Then we could see if these lubes are any better than average oil.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Ah ha, and according to the documents the difference in friction between best and worst lube is about 1.7W for your casual cyclist. Not going to be noticeable. Plus the error in longevity is +/- 2000km.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You may find your answer here https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/

There's tons of stuff there that I may have a read of some time. I find this kind of stuff interesting although it's kind of academic for an unfit trundler like me.

Fascinating stuff, particularly the shop, which as you might expect for an website boasting "only the those whom have brought a great product to market, not those who have simply brought great marketing to the market" will sell you a chain for north of $200 and lube to go with it over $300; lubes including not merely the inevitable graphene, but even more desirable "nanene". Disappointingly, unobtainium doesn't feature in any of the formulations.

More fascinating still, some of their products are only available price on application. The mind boggles!

Top Bottom