What Chain would you recommend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks,

I have to change the 11 speed chain on my road bike and am in bit of a quandary. I like to use the KMC SL chain however CRC seem to be out of stock of both that type and the EL. They do have the Dura Ace chain for sale at a reasonable price. Has anyone any experience of that chain and what is their honest experience of it. I don't want to shop elsewhere as I have a shed load of vouchers to use up

crazyjoe101

To be honest I don't think there's a whole bunch of difference between chains. The KMC ones are nice because you don't need to mess about with joining pins when you want to take it off but I *think* you can put a KMC link in Shimano chains anyway. I don't go above Ultagra level in cost on my best bike because it's a fast wearing part, put 105 level max on my tourer/winter bike - and of course see absolutely no difference.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. :okay: Just gonna get a Shimano Ultegra / Dura Ace and see how things go.

I wonder if CRC are stopping stocking KMC though :eek:
Was there not a take over from Wiggle, some other items on CRC are not stocked either, last time I looked, I can't comment on 11sp but my Ultegra 10sp chain is much better than the KMC I had in terms of rust resistance and yes @crazyjoe101 you can use KMC quick links certainly on the setup I have.

my Ultegra 10sp chain is much better than the KMC I had in terms of rust resistance.
How do you manage to get rust of any significance on your chain? I've never found it a significant issue even with lower end chains. Chain gets wet, any rust will only be surface. Next day oily rag over it. Oil it. Ride it. End of problem.

How do you manage to get rust of any significance on your chain? I've never found it a significant issue even with lower end chains. Chain gets wet, any rust will only be surface. Next day oily rag over it. Oil it. Ride it. End of problem.
The Ultegra even under those circumstances is more resistant, my chains last over 3,000 miles and cassettes 8,000 + so its not I don't look after them, i was just pointing out from experience, also as chains age they become more prone to rust. I usually dry and lube after a wet ride.

Fair does but i still suspect that you have enticed some innicent chains, but maybe not yours, into the naturist lifestyle. The only serious mechanically significant rust i have ever seen on chains is on those left to gambol naked in repeated thundershowers and then left outside to let nature take its course. with sram chains, for instance, i think it is the case that with the exception of the very bottom 8 speed chain (830?) which is best avoided, all the more expensive chains just deliver a fancier cosmetic appearance, as the real protection against rust is to dry/re-oil the chain prompty. i'm lazy so i often leave them overnight and then deal with, and swiftly banish the problem, the next morning.

@Blue Hills I have ridden through many sorts of conditions and looking after my equipment is paramount as I only have the one bike it needs to have to work its my main transport, and as i only have some £15 a week to play with what I have needs to be as long lasting as possible, over time any surface protection the plates have wears primarily due the shifting on the front, there should be no wear to the outside plates on the rear, the other wear is in the rollers, the 10sp KMC and 10sp Ultegra have both had over 3,000 miles in use and the outer surfaces of the KMC after that sort of distance were more effected by age than the Ulterga. the Ultegra comes up almost new when given a good clean the KMC never would. My running gear is dried after a wet ride and lubed and kept in a bike shed.

That is serious distance for a chain: both chains. You must be doing something pretty special (right) with your tlc, Nigel.
I personally think its because I ride a triple and that I run a pretty straight chain line i.e. usually a 38x17 or 19 gear my average gear is about 61-62" so I set it so that was a pretty straight line, many would disagree I think, I do use the extremes on the 38th middle ring in fact most of my riding is on the middle ring, last time I changed the chain there was no significant wear on the 105 cassette nor on the Ulterga cassette when I switched back to the 105 still on the Ultegra chain. I can't afford a new chain at the moment so have decided to run the Ultegra chain (which has done as I said 3,000 miles coupled up to a Ultegra cassette) with the old 105 cassette till I get some money.

Top Bottom