What counts for you?

rolling or official

• Rolling

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Official

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ferret fur

Given that sportives are all about what it means to you (& of course aren't a race :whistle: ) What do you count as your finishing time in your own mind? Your rolling time or the time given at the end officially? Does the queue for food / a pee and the chat with other riders count as rest & therefore a benefit to be taken into account or do you feel that you can't control the queue size & that it should be discounted.

corshamjim

Neither - success is solely defined by whether the sag truck catches me up or not.

Admittedly the sag truck caught me up on the Severn Bridge Sportive last year and kindly waited for me to finish ahead of it. That's a success too. :biggrin:

Glover Fan

I haven't done a Sportive, but when I am riding on an Audax I count my journey time as the time actually spent on the bike and will stop my watch at the control points.

It's a personal thing though, I use it merely to be able to gauge my average rolling speed.

Fiona N

Veteran
Depends what the event is - Audax it has to be official elapsed time, for a private excursion rolling time and for sportives, it depends whether I'm after a 'medal' - so I couldn't vote :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sportives is rolling time for me as I don't hang about at the feeds - i.e. quick refil, grab a bite and off.

You'd be surprised how much time you can spend in the queue for a refil or indeed the loo.

Many sportives give you both times when using chips.

zizou

Veteran
A bit of both but i feel more satisfaction if i get a decent(ish) official time because it is easier to hammer out a good rolling time if stopping every 20 miles or so for a break and refuel

TVC

Official time, but I also examine the results to determine my finishing position, overall, and in age group.

For the record, I am aware it's not a race, and I am not at all competitive.
whistling.gif

Top Bottom