What date...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Here you go
A conversion app.
https://stevemorse.org/jcal/julian.html
However you need the location, as there it took 200+ years for most of the world to convert, one country at a time, or in the case of some countries, one region at a time.
If I remember correctly Ethiopia still has yet to catch up.
Basically there is about a 11 day difference.

Also some countries, such as France introduce a 'logical' decimal system, which lasted a few years after the revolution. I have a picture dated 'Anno 7' (that would be 1783 in modern parlance)

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Clearly beer o'clock.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The date will be the same as it always was. Otherwise, we wouldn't know what date the question was referring to. Unless we're applying the newer calendar retrospectively. Oh, but if we're doing that, it's still going to be the same date because the new calendar has already been applied.

Drago

Legendary Member
The good Lord Donald Trump was born on Christmas day, placed here on Earth by God to smite the weakling communists and protect the true believers.

trumpjes.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I believe Christmas Day is on the 25th this year.
That's a turn up for the book........

Brains

Legendary Member
I believe Christmas Day is on the 25th this year.

Whereas it should actually be on the winter solstice, which is 4 days earlier.
However it took 400 or so years to realise that the length of a year is 365.26 days and not 365.25.
They did not realise they not only had to enter an extra day per four years (leap year) but also and extra day per century to keep it in line.

This is also the reason why New Years Day in Western Europe is on the 1st of January, which should also be Winter Solstice day, but is now 11 days out, but it did match with the Julian Calendar.
In addition in Eastern Europe New year/Christmas is celebrated on the 6th of January, again the cause is getting the dates out of sync with the Winter Solstice.

In a lot of societies the new year used to start with Spring, which should be half way between the Winter and Summer Solstice, 20th March, which by "amazing coincidence" often is the same date as Easter

Any fule knos that the best calendar was the one that existed before Julius the tyrant came around and started faffing with it, even if it required priests to work out what day or year it was.

"Let's call the 9th month "month 7", the 10th month "month 8", the 11th month "month 9", and the 12th month "month 10". Oh, and the seventh month we'll name after me, and the 8th after my nephew, Brian Blessed"
No wonder they stabbed him.

Brains

Legendary Member
Any fule knos that the best calendar was the one that existed before Julius the tyrant came around and started faffing with it, even if it required priests to work out what day or year it was.

"Let's call the 9th month "month 7", the 10th month "month 8", the 11th month "month 9", and the 12th month "month 10". Oh, and the seventh month we'll name after me, and the 8th after my nephew, Brian Blessed"
No wonder they stabbed him.

I thought it was the Emperor Augustus that really messed up the system, by wanting his own month?
The issue was trying to make a Lunar calendar fit in with a Solar calendar.

The earth and seasons run on a solar calendar.
But it's impossible to work out the date without a solar measuring device. (Even a stick can be a solar measuring device)

Humans however run on a Lunar calendar.
We easily see a Lunar Calendar, conveniently the moon is different every night, so it easy to see where you are in the cycle.

Last edited:
I thought it was the Emperor Augustus that really messed up the system, by wanting his own month?
The issue was trying to make a Lunar calendar fit in with a Solar calendar.

The earth and seasons run on a solar calendar.
But it's impossible to work out the date without a solar measuring device. (Even a stick can be a solar measuring device)

Humans however run on a Lunar calendar.
We easily see a Lunar Calendar, conveniently the moon is different every night, so it easy to see where you are in a the cycle.
I was wrong, it was a much, much earlier Roman king who switched the calendar from 10 months to 12, but Julius Caesar was Pontifex Maximus and the calendar was very much part of religious duties. Before reform each year was 355 days long and had 12 months using similar month lengths to the ones we have now, but a shorter February. To prevent drift every few years the religious officials would get together and decide whether to insert leap months between February and March.

Given how much turmoil the Roman republic was going through around then he had neglected his duties, which is why 46 BC had two leap months and was 446 days long. By the time he finished beating up Pompey, it was easier to scrap the whole thing and it was redesigned it to make it run itself.

Apparently it was the senate who renamed Sextilis to August in honour of Augustus.

Brains

Legendary Member
.... Apparently it was the senate who renamed Sextilis to August in honour of Augustus.

With our new 'senate', which is increasingly being run on Roman lines, we already have a month named after Teresa May.
I wonder how long it will be before we get a month (re)named "Boris" ?
More importantly where will it be put into the calendar and will it contain lots of national holidays ?

Top Bottom